1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ready to stall?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JeepPlow18, Sep 2, 2007.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

My 95' Chevy Silverado 2500 ( low milage 73K ) feels like it wants to stall. Its shaky when it starts but starts ok. Then I shift it into drive and it shakes like it is ready to stall. Does anyone know what this could be? (Just bought it in april have not had it checked out thoughly) First time I have owned a Chevy, so I have no idea what it could. Thanks in advance Mike

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Could be a lot of things.

Step One:
    Are there any codes? Many places will read the codes for you for free

Does it shake only when the engine is cold as opposed to when the motor reached operating temperature?

Does this happen when driving and is it at any specific speeds?

Your description indicates when a load is placed on the motor but, does it go away at operating temperature, specific speeds, etc?

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Its warmed up for 15 mins and then I shift it into drive and when its idoling it shakes. hitting the gas is ok but when the rpms go down to 800 this is when it shakes like its ready to stall has happened once ( when it was in park I was reving it and it stalled but only that one time). Thanks again Mike

4. scottL

Well ... there could be a few things....
    1) fuel pressure - very typical
    2) O2 sensors since the vehicle is warmed up
    3) maybe a good tune up
    4) I'm not sure your intake situations but, injectors or idler sensor could be as well.

5. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Ok will check those things out thanks scott

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Fuel pressure regulator went on my 2000 6.0 and it was exactly like this until it was replaced.

7. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks mayhem will check this out as well

8. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping Member

I have a 96 1500 that does the samething when driving. It only does it at about 1200 rpms, if the truck sits right at that rpm range it shakes once it goes below or over 12-1300 rpms its fine. I was told it maybe a clogged tork converter or sometimes when a truck rides at the same rpm day in and day out it wears a bad (flat) spot in a sensor inside a box beside the intake. But your guess is as good as mine.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You should have an Idle Air Control or some function like it. This supplies air to the intake for a smooth idle. Most EFI's have them. They can get clogged or don't react quick enough but most times they are just toast. It could be the Throttle Position Sensor too. Most times these cause other problems that you notice. Haynes puts out an EFI book which I have, that helps a lot with EFI problems.

10. scottL

there is the throttle sensor which can wear a spot and cause specific rpm issues. also the MAP sensor will cause similar issues and idle issues. I had changed the MAP on my '97 and it was noticeable.

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The single model repair manuals you can buy for your truck will have check out procedures.Most testing just requires a VOM to measure voltage or resistance. Sometimes you need a vacuum pump too. That way your not throwing parts at the problem and still not fixing it.

12. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks guys im going to check these issues out really soon. Will let you know what it is. Thanks again. Mike

13. shanta74

shanta74 Member

it sounds like it could be a vacum leak especaly if it has a mass airflow sensor