1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ready to roll. what else?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 02powerstroke, Dec 19, 2008.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I'm ready to roll out,I put 800#s of block in my bed,plows on,checked all fluids,greased front end and U-joints, I packed extra pins,cotter pins,tools,two quarts of Fisher fluid,two spare hoses, 40ft of chain,shovel Is there anything else I should bring with me or do?

2. 02powerstroke

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

sounds about right to me
    that basically what i have but why the 40 ft of chain?
    good luck and stay safe

4. 02powerstroke

You ever get stuck or have someone with you get stuck?

5. ColliganLands

no but i carry 10,000 lb recovery straps
    guess i never thought of chain before

6. Kunker

Kunker Member

Then leave the chain at home and buy a good recovery strap. Far easier on both vehicles and a little less dangerous should something break. Just make sure you throw a blanket/jacket/something on either when you go to pull.

7. 02powerstroke

I have broken every strap I have ever had.(no I dident buy the cheesey auto zone kind) I had a huge one that was about 8" wide, snapped that trying to get my gfs f-150 out of mud over the tops of the tires. Its strong chain, grade 80 stuff I use it to tie down machines and stuff.

8. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Big +1.
    I'd take a good recovery strap, or dedicated tow rope over a chain any day.
    The shock you transfer to your truck using a chain is very hard on it.

I used to have a tow rope that was nylon and about 6" or 8" thick with chain on each end to attach to the vehicle.
    I'd be surprised to see it break. It was about 30' long and I could get a running start in a 1 ton pickup. I've seen it streatch to where it was only 2" wide, but never broke.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  9. 02powerstroke

I have a spool of 1" poly rope? should I cut some of that off and tie loops on it?

10. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

I don't know if that'd be what you need.
    The rope we used was as big around as my leg. To tell the truth, I don't know where it came from, and I haven't seen it's like anywhere else.

11. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I have to agree about tow straps.....doesnt seem to matter how much I spend or what they are rated at I break them. Even the tow cables I've owned broke but I still have my original 60' 10' and 12' 3/8 galvanized chains I bought. Been a few years now and havn't broke one yet. I know they can be dangerous and even deadly but they are also reliable and that alone makes up for the danger, weight and size compared to a strap. Just my 2 cents

12. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Nylon would be better as poly does not have any give.

13. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Ive broken a lot of straps, but Ive never broken a chain. A good 3/8 chain will do just about anything you want with it.

* Id get rid of your trailer hitch, just something else that sticks out from your truck.

Good, luck.

14. 02powerstroke

I use the pintal to run the chain or strap around thow.

15. ColliganLands

Rolling out in about 15 minutes here
    good luck tonight

16. 02powerstroke

good luck stay safe

17. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

chain is the way to go
    if my 1 ton dump gets stuck with a load of sand it ways between 12000 and 18000 lbs
    a strap won't hold up to that

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I've only broken straps at the loop when I wrapped it around the trailer ball. Take both, you have room. Chain for trucks with good connections and the strap for cars with cash in hand.

Its all over here. Hope everything went good.

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get some rope from a paper mill it's wicked strong, I have pulled alot of vehicles out with it and it's never broke on me JMO.

You got some sweat stacks.

20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd tidy up those loose wires hanging down from the temporary reverse lights. Those could easily catch on a branch and rip those lights right out.