1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ready to put my plow in a pile with some tnt

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pushinsno, Oct 26, 2009.

1. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

Heres the deal today i worked on it and seemed fin went up and down and to the right but not left. Wich i feel is my controller since u dont here the motor run when u hit the left button... Anyways it was dropping like a rock so i adjusted the speed screw...and now it was squirtin h-d fluid out the top of the pump shaft.....since then now the plow is tuck to the left with out me putting it there..... Everything seems to work except when hitting the left button. U can here the motor engaging for all direction except for left....is it because my control pad is shot and not working right.....and how do i get the plow back to straight or to the right.....buy a new control pad.... Should i flush the pump out... Is there too much fluid in the pump for it to be squirting out i never had that prob before...and i have magnetism on all coils except the coil for the left angle but then again nothing happens anyway when pushing the button...i am lost and getting pissed.. Im to the point to just junk the whole thing and the plow is a meyers with e 60 pump, with push button pad controller

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is no coil for the angle left function, so if it won't angle left then the touchpad is shot. Happens quite often as they're not the most durable controller out there....

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My first plow was a Myers with the touch pad.....went through 2 of them before I got rid of the plow. If there is no noise when trying to angle, I would say that pad is junk. I saw some on e bay a week or so ago.

4. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

Okay if there is no coil on a meyers then what is the three cylinders that the wires are going to and when i touch the other two with someone pushing the control pad i get magnetism off both of the good ones but yet the one for the left i get nothing and obviously cause the pad is bad...so if there not coils then what are they.....and can a pistol grip controller work with my plow or no?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The coil with the BLACK wire is for the lower function. The coil with the GREEN wire is for the angle right function and the coil with the RED wire is for the raise function. So as I said, there is NO COIL for angle left. You power the motor only and it turns left...no coil or valve required, used, or equipped.

6. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

well im a little confused then cause i was told there is no coil for the downward motion due to the weight of the plow drops it down.......so im lost lol

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, whomever you listened to you may want to stop doing that.

Download, read and follow the manual here to familiarize yourself with what you're working with. Until you do you're simply shooting in the dark.

8. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

No im not doungting you one bit, i appreciate ur help most i have gotten on here the bottom line is my touch pad is shot? And i got it hooked to fused pwer but yet the damn thing will still be on when i turn off the truck why would that be...i have to unplug the harness for some reson to cut the power off it....is that because the swithch on the pad is crapped out too

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you have a short somewhere in the harness your TP is shot. Check over the harness first looking for any rough spots or damaged wires and if it all checks out replace the TP. Or borrow one if you can to positively rule out any others issues. But everything leads to a dead TP so far, and as I mentioned before they do die often. A good upgrade is to update to the new style pistol grip controller as they've been holding up well so far.

If the pistol is out of your budget then I'd recommend going back to the single lever joystick or even the old twin toggles as they never die and are much less expensive.

10. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

Also when transporting it is sloppy and wobbles some should i put some thicker kingbolts in where it mounts to the plow frame i think thats what there called the ones in there now are a bit narrow for the holes...this is my first plow i have own and have agreat oppurtunity to make good money this winter,,,,sorry for all the questions

11. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

I could just test the plug then outstide the truck then to see if has pwer or no..... What would be a good test to see if the proper pwer is going to all the wires in the harness or isnt there a good test

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea it likely has some worn components, not at all uncommon if it's an older unit. How serious the wear is should be determined by a tear down checking the bolts as well as the various holes for any excessive wear. They're all fixable though. But concentrate on getting it operational first and then we'll get into fixing the mechanicals.

13. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

Okay well doesnt seem to be to worn on the plow frame and else where i think i got a good deal on it i only paid 1200 for everything and its a c-8 blade and e 60 pump which you know lol, on my 2002 chevey avallanche 2500 with 8.1

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you disconnect the controller and jump the blue and white wire pins in truck side connector it should angle left if the harness is good and you have ignition power to the plug on the blue wire (which you should). Easy test.

15. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

okay so then the white wire is the wire for the left angle control.....? i really appreciate the help and thanks a bunch

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No the white trips the under hood solenoid. As like I mentioned, when you do nothing but power the motor the plow will angle to the left.

17. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

Where would you hooke the power wire to for me controller, what do you thinks is the best spot or area

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A keyed ignition souce. In other words a location in the fuse panel thats only supplied power when the key is in the run position. A test light will tell you which ones those would be.

19. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

I have two fuse boxes one inside the truck and one in the engine compartment does it make a difference

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use the one in the truck.