1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ready To Purchase

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by M & MD Lawn, Jul 3, 2011.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I have been wanting to purchase for a few years now but being in college I haven't made a move until now. I have been doing lawn care for 8 years now and have been reading up and studying on plowing almost ever since I started,also talk with fellow associates about how they plow, techniques and so on, also reading on websites and so on...................... So I am considering going with a 7'6 or 8'2 Boss V. Thats what I really want, I have the truck my 97 2500 454 powered. i have it all setup for it minus timbrens, lights, replaced ball joints and made front end was tight, also good tires, just need to buy the plow. Any suggestions on which size to go with, I think the V is a good choice as a solo guy, in my opinion. Also if anyone has any leads on any within a few hours of Indianapolis, let me know!

Thanks,
    Paul

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Boss 8.2 v plow.

3. M & MD Lawn

Also I cant really afford new, any ideas where I should search, already have been checking the sale forum on here and lawnsite and also ebay

4. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Craigslist

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

With a 2500, you should be able to go with a 9.2 boss V if you want. Craigslist is a good way to find used anything.

6. M & MD Lawn

Yea 8.2 seems like a happy medium, 9.2 seems rather big and I don't know of I will be doing large parking lots in the beginning, I actually considered the 7.6 but I think it might be too small

7. Rc2505

I run a 9.2 on one of my 3/4 Chevy's and a 9 ft straight blade on another. Both trucks have both small driveways, as well as medium to small size lots on the routes. We never have a problem with the size of the plow, or the depth of the snow.

8. M & MD Lawn

Thats great to know, it was a concern of mine......... also guys is their a "snow plow buying season" or just random?

9. Rc2505

If your talking about when to buy them cheap, that season started about May 1 and goes through August some time. After that people are gearing up, and getting ready for snow, so the price goes up. Good Luck on your search.

10. M & MD Lawn

Lol yea well that too but I am having a hard time finding one, I've been perusing eBay and Craigslist quite faithfully, maybe its just the Boss brand

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Of course it's the Boss brand,guys know quality when they see it!Thumbs Up

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have a good plan so far. The 7-6 is definitely too small. Get the 8-2 at least. One weak point when plowing with that truck is the reverse band in the transmission. Do some searching, there are several threads here talking about shift technique.

13. M & MD Lawn

yes, i believe I read that thread thoroughly, i believe I have it bookmarked too, i believe the main thing was to come to a complete stop, dont roll and throw in reverse, i think its been awhile since i read it.

14. M & MD Lawn

I was re reading a few threads on my trans, sounds like I should get a trans temp gauge installed and get the tranny checked, and R-1 R-1, is the best reverse pattern?

15. M & MD Lawn

Called my local dealer and they have a 2010 boss V 8'2 smart lock, snow deflector, mount, controller, wiring and install for $5000. Its brand new, its a "leftover". they also have a 7'6 available for a little less.......think it a good deal????

16. M & MD Lawn

I have another question also, do I have to add a policy to my current company policy for snow? Like I had to do for my workers comp.

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

A 2010 left over is 2 model years old as 2012 models will be coming out. I would try to grind that price down. After all, that was the opening price "suggestion" and it is 90+ degrees outside.
    Yes, you need to add snow plowing to your policy.

18. M & MD Lawn

Ok thanks lettuceman, I don't want to insult the guy lol, what do you suggest I should start the negotiation at?

19. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Until you have to do a lot with a drive through...

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A 9+ vee should go through most any drive through