1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ready to buy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowManB-C, May 4, 2013.

1. PlowManB-C

PlowManB-C Junior Member

I am ready to buy a new truck and am between the Ford and GMC, I currently have an 09 GMC 2500 HD and am considering adding a 3500 HD GMC. With 6.0 and 4:10 rear end and 6 speed tranny, or a Ford F350 with the 6.2, 6 speed tranny, 4:30 Rear End, Appreciate any comments on issues any have had with either over the years.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd stick with the GM plainly for the front end. Plus, they ride better and look MUCH better.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The GM frontend will cost less in maintenance while riding better. The 6.0 is well proven, in use since 99. The 6L90 trans is also well proven, since 07?

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll play devils advocate.

How does the GM, with all the extra moving parts, cost less in maintenance? The Ford solid front axle is proven and unless I'm mistaken, can hold more weight. The GM does ride nice though.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I own newer ford & gm 1 ton trucks with 6.0/6.2 gas motors & 6spd tranny....there is absolutely no comparing the two on how the front ends handle a 1000lb plow in factory form. Ford is mulch better. But other than that, I like both trucks, and wouldn't hesitate to buy either again in the future.

My advice...buy which ever one you feel cooler driving.

6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

^Wrong, technically, now. A 6.0 gas 3500HD will come with a 6k front end. Someone here has one, I forget the screen name. I'll look it up. XLS on a RC/LB 3500, 3/4 inch of drop, no ballast, no timbrens, torsion bars at factory setting. Take that, ford.

EDIT: Here we go. http://plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=125549&highlight=xls

Last edited: May 5, 2013