1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ready for the big one of '15?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

NYC is supposed to see upwards of 30" , Southern New England nearly as much, and Northern New England should get anywhere from 12 to 20 depending on latitude....according to the most dangerous weatherman on the internet.Thumbs Up
  2. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

The crew was just reviewing the possibilities this morning. Last year we had a storm that continued for 24 hours, and dumped upwards of 18" on us. The routes were all done 3 times, and by the end of the storm the crew was tired but pleased. We could use one of those this winter! Temps are predicted to be cold, so no cement to deal with, wind is a concern, but all in all, a welcomed event!
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ha, where u seen 30 at?..... I really haven't paid much ATTN to it, Chicago is getting shafted by the storm today.
  4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Your used to getting the "Shaft".........:eek:.......:laughing:
  6. 1olddogtwo

I hope you guys get it, I hear Citytoe is wrapping up in Buffalo, he can be dispatched with his eqm.
  7. 1olddogtwo

Ah, one way or another......:)
  8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Screw that.:eek: No snow all winter then this bull :realmad:. I would make more with three 6 inch storms. :drinkup:
  9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No doubt, spread the amount out over many days, these dumpings sorta suck for margins.
  10. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Give me eight 3 inch storms, rather than 24 inches in 24 hours. It's bad on equipment, it's bad on our health, and it's bad for the bottom line. Who wants to be up for days cleaning up just to make what, maybe 3 times as much as one storm? I doubt even that much for those of us who are resi
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

We got rain with 40 degree temps might get little dusting on back side of the storm
  12. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I don't dust.....
  13. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I agree 100%, but with only 3 plows in this season, I'll take it....
  14. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Storms like this show why there is different pricing structures and hourly rates in different markets. Here' it just snows, sure we have bad nights, but we have enough easy 2" nights to cover the bad ones.

How the heck you manage a business to work only 5-10 nights a year is beyond me - that's a lot of equipment and manpower to have on hold.

A few weeks ago, we had 10" and 50mph winds, sorta sucked, wasn't really that big of a deal other than some of use had been working for a week straight when it happened, and worked the next 4 days after that - you do get tired.

24" and 50mph winds, now that will be some fun, your nerves just get frazzled when you can't see the front of the truck while driving.
  15. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

30" of snow in the city is a little far fetched. Theyre calling for 1-2' for my area, not really looking forward to it.
  16. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

You guys are so lucky

Good luck to you guys on east coast just rain here in mid missouri .Send some are way please!
  18. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Supposed to be real windy, so you'll probably have heavy drifting to deal with. That can be worse than a straight snow fall.
  19. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

They are also saying another one for Friday and one next Monday...Barely get done with this so called "historic" storm and another right behind it!

Hold on boys, we are officially in the pattern now!
  20. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct