1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ready for a Truck Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BeastMaster, Feb 15, 2010.

1. I've been operating small scale on a quad hauled in the bed of my truck. I'm getting enough accts. and age on me that l'm ready for a truck plow for the '10/'11 season.
    There are SOO many plow brands. We don't get a lot of snow in SE Indiana (cept the past 2 weeks) so I can't justify a new plow.
    So..coach me guys. On a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup,,what width blade ? Brand ? (keep in mind I'll buy a used plow). Model of plow within a brand ? I'll be doing resi driveways and smaller 10-25 car size parking lots. I typically get $30 for resis and $45-$70 for large driveways and small lots on my ATV.
    I don't want an old, junk blade, but as I said, I can't justify a new plow b/c some winters we may only get 2 plow worthy snows. This year, since Jan. we've had 4 good snows. I'm leaning twds. a low end commercial grade plow as I can be rough on equipment and think a homeowners type plow might not suite me.

ALSO...coach me on a plow that is easy to operate inside the cab.

Feel free to direct email if you like. I'm just 30 mi. west of Cincinnati, OH.
    crayls@embarqmail.com

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If your looking for blade width, I would go at least 8 foot on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Now the problem with that is on resi- drives, it might get pretty tight trying to turn and angle the snow in the direction you want with a wider plow. I would consider a smaller jeep type vehicle, for drives, and at least an 8 foot plow on the bigger trucks. Wait till spring and you might find a good deal on a couple of used plows.

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with the above wait till the spring unless you find a good deal. As far as the size I would go with an 8' if the driveways around you are wide enough for it.

4. I was thinking that my blade should be no wider than my front bumper....to keep this rookie from raking something. Sound good ? Also, I thought a down-pressure blade would be good too. I'm open to all suggestions.
    thanks fellers.

5. IApushn

IApushn Junior Member

Maybe bumper-width when it is turned. Any less than that and you won't be able to clean to the edges.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get the Boss plow a lot of good used ones are out there and a lot of parts can be bought in part stores if something happens.

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

No, the plow needs to be wider than the truck. My 7.5 foot plow on a 3/4 ton chevy BARELY clears the wheels when angled. Wish I had an 8 foot most days. Use the flags to know where the plow is so you don't hit stuff.

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Boss, Western, Fisher, Sno-Way, Blizzard will all serve you well. Meyer if you get a really good deal on it, but they tend to have more issues with hydraulics than the others. Everything breaks though. Look for a good deal on a truck with plow already on it come springtime, just make sure it isn't rusted out.

9. Jb1390:
    I read on here somewhere that the flags you talked about on ea. side of the plow are actually.....rookie rods. U trying to make me get laughed at ?

I guess I need to find out what plow dealers are in my area, thus, I should be able to get parts when I need them.

Grandview...I see you like Italian food too. Gee...I can't imagine why.... (O) (O)