1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Codes on OBD-I

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Flyboy77, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I'm getting an occasional Check Engine light on my 96 F350 460V8 gasser.

Any recommendations on scanning for the early versions of OBD-I? Is there a cheap scanner that will work for this? Will AutoZone be able to scan this from the port under the hood? (It's definitely not the OBD-II port under the dash).

I'm also feeling an occasional stumble at about 1400 RPM when there's a slight uphill in OverDrive when I have my plow on (and it has a flatbed, so there it's probably 2000lbs over stock, so some load).

:confused::help:

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Try Google, how to get flash codes.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

96 should have an obd2 connector, if it has one under the dash, then I use whats callef elm 327 it plugs into the obd2 and uses an app called torque the app is free. The elm327 is around 20 dollars. There's a lot of videos on YouTube

5. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

The F350 did not fall under the Federal mandates for cars and light trucks which required OBD-II in 1996. It does not have that connector, it has the one like in the youtube link above.

Thanks all! I have my answer for how to read the codes. YouTube knows ALL!! :)

I'll view the codes and report back.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016