1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reached My Max

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Aug 20, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey everyone:

Right now I have reached my maximium snow removel capability. I have everyone of my field workers and a few of my office workers doing something during every storm.

So If I want to get bigger I need to higher more people, outside the company. The trouble is i really can't carry these extra people all winter long, I just don't think I hvae the work.

I know some of you guys have employees that you higher just for the plowing or shoveling. Have you guys found it is easier to higher and keep drivers than shovelers? I have talked to a few of my guys that shovel and some said they wouldn't mind driving, others say they would rather shovel.

Where do you guys look for guys to fill these jobs, do you try to carry them the whole winter? I guess I am lost at this point in the biz, we have always used out year round employees, however we have maxed out that labor pool.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

How about equipment Geoff, do you still have equip. available and not the man power to run it. If so, then I would look to const. co's that dont do snow removal, and see if they have operators.
    If you are maxxed out equip and man power, start subbing. You will make more money subbing, then buying leasing more equip and hiring more people.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Right now, every truck, tractor, loader, backhoe, snowblower, shovel, has an someone to run it.

The trouble is due to some new contracts and service obligations during the summer time, I will be forced to buy 2 more pick up trucks. Due to the nature of the work these trucks will be used for 4 wheel drive will be a must. There for I would like to add a plow to get return in the winter.

However at this point I am not sure if a staff increase will be needed to complete this new summer time service.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If its only 2 p/u drivers, my bet is that you will be able to find someone to run them. Look for people that work days and have nights off. I like firemen and policemen. They are reliable and do good work.
    And hire them as part timers, I dont think you will have to much of an issue.
    Also anyone that works outside, construction, layed off landscapers, fishermen. Use anyone that may be idle during the winter that fits the bill.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff,dont overlook golf courses,most of the equipment operators are real good with machinery,and dont work winters.A lot of these guys are retired,or love the outdoors.You may find a good seasonal employee in one,and they will have a winter job to supliment their income,just something to think about,thats how i got help plowing,when needed.Believe me,any operator that can hold a job on at a golf course operating the equipment will be very detail orriented,and do an excellent job plowing. These guys take pride in their work,often driving around the course,on their own time,on the cart after their done,just to admire their work,or to try to find fault in their stripes,or patterns,so that they may improve them next time.This is the guy I want in my truck,claening the lot perfect,no spilled trails all ove the lots.I've found,once you show them the right way,you dont have to check their work.
  6. spikemcd

spikemcd Junior Member

In addition to Firemen & policemen, look at active duty military that operate heavy equipment in civil engineering. They too are reliable, experienced & could use the money. Regarding extra people in general, a business friend of mine who is a construction contractor (15 years making over $150k himself)recommends stay lean unless you are going real big. Sometimes the extra headaches & liabilities with 2 or three extra people aren't worth it. He says he's makes & keeps more with two than five and doesn't lose sleep over making payroll!
  7. Leroy

Leroy Junior Member

John DiMartino.

Thanks for your idea. I'm woefully short of labor. I have five golf courses within a 3 mile range. I never thought of the groundskeeping staff. Great idea! Thank You.