1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re-worked my BackRack

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Spudman, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Spudman

Spudman Member

I decided to give my BackRack a facelift this weekend. It seems like every pickup in my area now has the same black BackRack or ProRack, so I changed mine up with some diamond plate steel, Maxxima LED lights, and new paint. Now I just need to dig out and service the new plow after harvesting and I'll be all set for the snow. Upgraded to a 7.5' X-Blade this year after my 7.5' RD series Fisher was stolen in April. Nothing worse than a thief.

DSC00719.JPG

DSC00720.JPG

DSC00721.JPG

2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Looks good. How does that tundra tow and hold a plow compared to a 3/4 ton chevy/ford/dodge? Have you modified it all ?

3. Spudman

Spudman Member

I put 2.5" Bilstein leveling struts on the front with Timbrens. It hardly squats at all with the plow on. We also have a 2500HD Duramax and GMC 3500 with Fisher plows, and I've been able to go everywhere these trucks can with no problems.

The truck has great power for towing, and I'm always pulling a trailer moving equipment between our several farming locations. It's by no means a 1-ton dually diesel that's built to pull trailers, but it works good for what I need.

4. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

Those are led lights right
    i thought amber lights couldnt be in the back
    nice setup

5. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

looks nice, are the lights boxed in or can u see the back of the bulbs?

6. bryanR

bryanR Member

nice setup. id kill for a garage that big.

7. Spudman

Spudman Member

Thanks guys. The lights are LEDs, and the backs are boxed in with more diamond plate, 1/8" thickness.

The shop is OK, it works, but as the equipment gets bigger the shop seems to be smaller and smaller each year. We have a couple different shops we operate out of so we can spread the work out. An 80' x 120' building would be just right.

8. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, I've been thinking about one for my truck sometime. Theyre expensive though.

9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

you post that in every back rack thread!

Just buy one already!!!!;)

when It was on sale for 189!!!!

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Looks great!!!!

Now it looks like its stainless steel!!!!

11. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Very nice work! The rack and truck looks Awsome!

12. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Do those lights create a blindspot? I really like it but was just curious.

13. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

did you seal off the wires in the back with a plate or is it open???

14. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

NICE! And nice license plate!!!!!1

15. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Wow nice truck. one of the nicest Yota's i've seen.

16. Spudman

Spudman Member

Thanks for the comments on the BackRack and truck. The backs of the lights are also sealed off with the same diamond plate steel on front, with a small grommet for wiring to pass through. I haven't had any issues with visibility or blind spots since the installation.

I still need to mount a set of Grote flood lights for extra visiblity when backing up, and install my antennas for our 2-way farm radios.

It took me three years to get the license plate for my truck. I checked the state's plate registry site every month since I got my driver's license, and after a few years of trying I was finally able to buy it. It gets a lot of looks from other potato growers.

17. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hey that thing looks sweet Spudman.

I can imagine the guy who had that license plate before was severely disappointed that he didnt renew it fast enough and someone got it. :laughing:

18. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Spudman I have a aunt that has a camp in Hartland on Morril pond and i have a buddy who has a camp in Dexter. Never been in Exeter, but in the Dexter region, and all my times to Moosehead i dont think i have ever passed a patato field!

19. Spudman

Spudman Member

Potato Fields

Our farming operations stretch from Corinna on Rt. 7 through Exeter and east into Corinth and Charleston, basically following Rt. 11/43. Quite a few of the fields are back in the woods; hard to see from the road. We also have a second operation in the Androscoggin River Valley, in the towns of Canton, Jay, Dixfield, Peru, and Livermore. It's about 100 miles west of our home farm in Exeter.

20. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

yeah thats a hell of a spread! What do you go through skowhegan then through Farmington? Threre are some major fields in the Madison/Anson area.I go to Jackman alot and found a long way around Skowhegan going through Fairfeild into Maddison dont really know names and then get onto 201a into Bingham. The Skowhegan PD and my right foot (wanting to get to camp) cant seem to get along. And FYI to who goes up 201 sheriffs patroling very heavy!