1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re: Sitting around talking

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Sticks, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok, so we were sitting around talking ( :drinkup: ) about my buddies http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=901408#post901408 , we came up with it needs to be chopped and lowered a little. Then we came up with what about plowing with a skidder ( see attached )

has anyone ever used one? are they too light?
    they have to have enough torque....

plus with a big winch you will never get stuck... the pics are of grapple skidders but a cable one would be perfect i think, all the hydrulics are there all ready.

Like i said we were :drinkup: and shooting the S*it thought i would put it out to you guys to see what you think?

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

If you get a big pusher for it, it should work good. I plowed for a logging company before, and they used one to break up hard spots that I couldn't get with the truck. Plenty of power, and good traction because the tires are just so big.
  3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Like Brant's said. Should work
  4. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Now that you have mentioned it, we want to see it done, soooo, were waiting on you.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't think it would do so well for driveways, though. Those Canadian chains would leave "small" marks and ruts. On the other hand, you'd never worry about getting stuck. I doubt the police on either side of the border would let you run up and down the road between accounts.
  6. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

they use them here on most jobs. almost every forrestry contractor has an old v plow, or a one way, that chain's onto the skidder blade.

thier not real fast, and sometimes have a hard time keepin' them into the bank ( slide the rear end) but i haven't seen one stuck plowing yet
  7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

NEED PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea i was gonna say the most i have seen them used in open areas (where they could run higher speed unlike in woods) was at "pond parties" (its a southern Indiana thing, drain a pond, add a lot of lifted 4x4's and alot of beer and enjoy) at these pond parties they use a couple skidders to recover stuck rigs (including trucks with blown big blocks on 5 ton Rockwell axles with 6' ag tires) and while they are nearly impossible to get a skidder stuck they do seem very slow....
  8. theonlybull

unfortunatly, i haven't seen many since the digital camera era. forrestry has taken a big hit up here in the last few years. most of the guys can't afford to plow snow to get to the woods now

they arn't that hard to get stuck though. happens quite a bit..... unfortunatly, it usually takes a really really big machine to get them out
  9. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

man..i shouldnt even mention this.. but i will.. but those farmers let those combines SIT .. literally SIT all winter long, b/c the combine machines is used for only one purpose.

i cant understand why someone hasnt come up with an attachment to allow for someone to put a box blade on the front of one. and then the farmer could at least lease it back out helping him bring in money.. and then maybe helping a local plow guy get into some more commercial business with little start up costs.

kinda goes along with you skidder idea. why let a piece of equipment that looks and is already known for being tough to be put to work for snow removal
  10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Can you take off the front attachment ( corn head?) to make room for a pusher box?
  11. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

my family has a cabin in Michigan's upper peninsula near grand marais. in that part of the world they log 365 days a year. here a few years ago I was out running around on my sled and I came across a skidder with a large root v-blade on the front of it. they used it fore opening up roads to get the semi's in. looked really cool but I didn't have a camera with me then. in areas of heavy logging its not really that un-common to see a skidder traveling down the road.
  12. theonlybull

theres our skidder, built by my grandfather in 1960. ( he was a machinist)

we've never put a blade on it. figured the 2 ton axles wouldn't like it too much
  13. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

nice little skidder