1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re-Placing Springs on a FISHER

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ole JIM, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I have a Freind that has a 7ft FISHER & He asked If? I knew How to change the Cutting EDGE Springs on a Fisher? I looked His Over! & DONO?--only Way I could See? IS! REmove the Cutting Edge & Install the Springs On the Gueids & JACK the Cutting Edge UP Slow & Easy & once All Lined UP!--JACK them Into Place! & Bolt them IN!?? Any ONE Ever RE-placed the Springs on a FISHER? THANKS ---Ole JIM--
  2. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Just replaced the base angle on a 9' X-Blade, which required removing the trips. Tell your friend to do himself a favor, go to the Fisher dealer and spend $32.00 on Fisher's spring removal tool.

3. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

RAYAN--I was Affraid of That being the CASE!--OH Hes got them OUT!--its getting the New ONES Back IN? thats His Problem!--I gave thought too Compressing them in a VICE! but Mine Won*t Open Enough!--& the Local SHOP Charges $55.00 an Hour! & Installing the 4 new ones would Take Longer than That!--& Hes a Retiree as I Am--NO extra $$$ I thought of Using a STRUT Compressor!--NO GOOD Too BIG! I Guess? Hes S{@#D!-- THANKS for the INFO! I will Pass it ON!--Ole JIM--
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I have done it years ago with a long pry bar and hammer, but be careful.
  5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I have changed them out with a crowbar and a chain and almost lost a few fingers and also with the tool that Fisher sells to do this.

Find the money somehow to buy the tool!! It aint worth loosing a couple fingers to save $35.00
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

If he is talking about the older "G" style blade then the Fisher tool will not work as they use the "old style" trip srings,if this is the case then these guys actually have the spring completely off the spring bar and they are tryin to compress it down.Weld a piece of flat stock to the end of the spring bar the same width as the bar and about 3" long,drill a 1/2" hole towards the top of it,assemble the spring and but it on the blade,run a bolt thru the hole and thru a chain,weld/hook the chain to a pry bar it up off the top of the blade,It sounds crude but beats the hell out of the alternatives listed above(as in no lost fingers :eek: )
    If it's a "L" style or newer blade than $35 is well spent on the Fisher tool,good luck!
  7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

can you put them in a spring compressor and band them for installation?
  8. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

At one time Fisher sold the spring and bar as an assembly. As memory serves it was pre-assembled and pinned ready for installation.

How do you tell the difference between a "G" blade and an "L" blade? I have a 7'6" Minute Mount 1. The A-frame has hook underneath that ride under (support) a heavy angle section on the back side of the blade. I notice that MM2's don't have the heavy angle section and are supported solely by the pin. Is that the difference?
  9. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I gave Thought to doing just THAT!--but--as I stated--Him nor"I"have any Way!to Compress them? Don*t have a Spring Compressor!--Vice is too Small--Strut Tool too Big--So Iguess?--its GO BUY the FISHER Tool!--Ole JIM--
  10. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

YOU know! this Plowing THING! is Really something! I*M in Maine! & Didn*t even Know this GUY! as I*M working On My Fisher Out-Side! & He Drove BY!--Stopped & We Chatted! Hes is OFF an 75 FORD same Yr as MINE but a 7? footer Mines an 8 footer!--I bought Mine in a Salvage Yard! Hes was Given to HIM--& Hes taken IT All Appart! & Done a Great Job on IT!--as It Looks Brand NEW!-All Painted UP! & He had ONE Broken Spring!--SO He Bought new Ones--at a local Truck Dealer!--& YES! WE asked? about Using their Tool?--They Just INSTALL New Plows!--Don*t Repair Them? thus!--NO Tool!--but--Were Going to BUY One Together! as We Live aprox 40 miles West of FISHER--His is Going ON an Older CHEVY--Mine On an 88 Dodge--So We are becomming Freinds! He like ME is Going to PLOW His Yard & He has a Long Driveway!--Hes Plow is Manual mines a three Way! I Helped HIM install His Push Plates & Head Gear! as Their Pretty Heavy for Old Guys! & Our Wives Like One Other! So this Plowing Thing! has Worked Out pretty GOOD! Now All We Both Need is $$$--& WE Both Laughed at Our Wives! as they Informed US!to NOT Throw Away Our SHOVELS!--Female Moral Help?--AH! what Do they KNOW??--Ole JIM-
  11. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

How about a hydraulic press?
  12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

You can buy the whole assembly for Old style or New style,it just sounded like their's was in pieces.
    The "G" blade would have been on the older conventional type set-ups,i don't believe they were on a MM.
  13. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

My father has put a piece of rod through the spring and a hole in the flat stock part that the spring goes over. We then put it in a vise and use a large pipe wrench to turn the spring and spiral it on until it is compressed. We then bolt it back on the plow and pop the rod out.