1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

re-painting my MM2

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dontgotsaclu, Oct 23, 2013.

1. dontgotsaclu

dontgotsaclu Junior Member

Looking at the blade yesterday and determined that she needs a bit more yellow on her. Broke off all the loose paint and the scaling rust on the plow, plan on giving it a rough sand job and slap some paint on it. Im not looking to get too far into this basically because I dont really care that much how my plow looks, I just want snow to not stick to it and for it to look presentable. What should i do ? Primer? What kind of paint? How many coats? etc. thanks

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

wire wheel the lose stuff and areas around it, sand, rustoleum brown primer then rustoleum sunburst yellow and roll it on, a good 3-5 coats will do the job. Dont hack on the prep even if you dont care because it will just continue to rut away.

3. Jwhite50

Jwhite50 Junior Member

SEM Rustshield. Scrape sand and feather edges no need for primer. Self etching with a conversion chemical. You can roll or spray.

image.jpg

4. Jwhite50

Jwhite50 Junior Member

Upside down, huh.....

5. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

X2 on the rustoleum products. Especially if you don't want to spend a lot/care much what it looks like. Walmart will have everything you need. If you have a lot of rusty metal to cover, it would be worth using the rusty metal primer. As said before, sunburst yellow in a qt for 8$, a roller and a pan.
    Roll the front, as it will hold up much better.

6. dontgotsaclu

thanks guys, and while im here, should i actually drain my hydraulic fluid, and if yes will any old hydraulic fluid work to fill it up with?

7. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Yes you should do that and change filter, only use fisher blue fluid.

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

And you can be sure to get ALL fluid by removing the lines for the angle rams at the pump, inserting the ends into a suitable bucket and working the blade back and forth by hand. Use a floor jack to lift it of the ground while attached to the truck. Definitely use fisher fluid... I learned the hard way when my plow stopped working due to frozen fluid..
    It should take roughly 2 qts for a straight blade.

9. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Sandblasted then primer and painted with PPG Polyurethane yellow two years on it now its held up great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dontgotsaclu

thanks boys

11. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict