1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re Lifting 98 f150 4x4

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by davewh, Oct 29, 2008.

1. davewh

davewh Member

I just have a quick question the front end of my ford sags a little bit not enough to inhibit anything but I just think it would look better if it was even. it doesnt have springs it has torsion bars. I have a 97 f150 exactly the same but it is high and even go figure.

Any help wouldbe very much appreciated.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

have you already cranked the torsion bars at all? if so have you ever look into a different set of torsion bar keys?
  3. plow tech

plow tech Member

how about a set of tembirens,that is what i put on most plow trucks work good and dont make it a real stiff ride like it does if you have to crank the torsenbars a lot.
  4. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

if you haven't already crank the t-bars and get an alightment if you have cranked them try a new set of keys they will lift it a inch more or so.
  5. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

In my opinion the best way to take care of this would be to get a new one-piece sub-frame and extended steering knuckles, torsion bar drop brackets, front bump stop relocation brackets and differential drop brackets to keep the proper alignment and geometry. The new One piece sub-frame gives increased strength to handle the added weight of the plow & you might need to replace the Factory length shocks after installing the above.

Only problem is it will lift the front more that your rear (about a 3" lift) & then you would need a lift in the back to level it out, but it would give you the strength in the front to handle the plow. The stock suspension on the F150 just is not mint to hold a plow. With the sub-frame in place it will improve the weight distribution & give you better control.

You can also just try a 2" front leveling kit, witch is basically a new set of Torsion Bar Keys.
    But with the leveling kit you will not get the increased strength that the one piece sub-frame will give you.

If you plan on keeping the truck & have the plow on a lot during the winter, I would want the increase strength. Its the way Ford should have done it to begin with.

Tembirens do work but they do not increase the STRENGTH of your suspension.