1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re Learning TPMS

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Squires, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Does anyone know how to re-learn the tire pressure monitoring system?, and possibly how to recalibrate your speedometer for different sized tires without going to the dealer?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Go into the dic untill you find the relearn and then start it. You have to put air into each tire untill the horn honks. It gives a good description in your owners manual. You have to go to your dealer to change the pressure setting and to recalibrate your speedometer. Most tuners will do the recalibrate but the pressure setting.

3. Squires

Squires Senior Member

I'll give it a try in the morning, thanks

4. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Did you say that most programers can re-calibrate the speedo?
    i did the tire pressure re-learn, that was easy, but the stealer dealer said they need a re-calibration number from gm that costs $75 and then $100 worth of shop time, this seems kind of crazy to me
    thanks in advanced

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

These new computers can tell if a programmer has been used and will automatically void ALL of your warranty. Its worth it to take it to the dealer if that concerns you. Try different dealers as they differ in prices I have found.

6. Squires

Squires Senior Member

For $200 im guessing im just not going to do anything with it, when the speedo is on 100 im doing 97-98ish so the odometer will be over by 30km's on every 1000

But does that mean that even checking and clearing a code with a non dealer code reader will effect the warranty?

and on the topic of the price to change the speedo, is there actually a fee paid directly to GM or is that jsut a larger than large cash grab?
    sale dealer wanted almost $100 to change and balance 4 tires

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't even bother with it then. Because they're isn't a factory calibration that will get it any closer than it is. OEM calibrations only cover OEM gear ratio and tires sizes.

Actually it will store info that will notify the next tech (using an actual scanner, not a code reader) when the last time any codes were cleared (shows mileage and or ignition cycles since they were cleared) but doesn't indicate of it was only read for any trouble codes. But neither affects warranty in any way regardless.