1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

re installing boss pump motor

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Lowes, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

My 8.5 Boss straight blade had a weak motor.
    I picked up this motor:
    My problem is I can't get this darn thing in. The slotted out put shaft is just a hair larger than the original.

The Boss motor is a Hydraulic Pump Motor - Barnes MSC01563
    looking at this chart http://service.bossplow.com/Documents/power_unit_parts_assembly.pdf
    it shows a shaft adapter.
    Shaft Adapter, Barnes Power Unit HYD01671
    Do all pumps need this adapter? I don't believe my old one had this.
    What's the deal? Any one else have this problem?
    So long for quick replacement. Did I just buy some cheap China made knock off?
  2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same issue with a Barnes Dump bed pump. I had to take off the gear pump first and then install the motor with the "spud" into the manifold/plate. Then when the motor is tight to the manifold/plate re-install the gear pump and clock the gear pump shaft to align with the "spud" and tighten. What makes you say the slotted output shaft is longer, did you measure it with a caliper and compare to the old motor.
  3. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

The adapter was stock inside the pump body.
    The out put shaft of the motor I took a dremel tool to to make it smaller.
  4. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I hope to learn my lesson on Ebay. I just keep taking a beating.
    The output shaft is not only 3mm to thick, it is also 6mm to long.
    The adapter part number HYD01671 would be way to long to mate up to the Hydraulic Pump.
    With out the adapter the output shaft of the motor would be to short. It's a catch 22. It's just not the right motor for the pump.