1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re-freezing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by blade111, Dec 4, 2008.

1. blade111

blade111 Junior Member

I have a commercial account in which I salt. The customer provides the salt (I think it is calcium chloride). The regular business hours are 7am-5pm. If there is no more snow, sleet, freezing rain, etc on the way on a particular night, I would like to go & spread the ice melt say at midnight rather than doing it @ 5am. Will the ice stay melted or is there a chance it could re-freeze, thus defeating the purpose of getting it done early? How long should the ice melt last without having to re-apply?

Thanks

2. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

Should stay melted. I have a property that has a parking deck that freezes every night below 32. We salt it at 12am and have no problems at all.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

first off get the terminology correct, your applying a deicer, not salt. if they provided you with sodium chloride you could say your salting, but CaCl is a deicer.

IF there is no more precip the rest of the night, AND you applied the correct amount, you'll be just fine. If you under applied or you get more snow/rain and the temp drops you will get refreeze because the deicer has been diluted, the more diluted the solution the point of freezing rises. So think of it this way, the current temp is 20* you apply your deicer and at its current solution it melts down to -5*, but as it melts the amount of water increases thus diluting the solution, the more diluted the solution the freeze temp climbs. 2 hours later the temps have climbed to 28* but you miscalculated the amount of product to use and/or it snowed a bit more so your freeze point has climbed to 30* BANG your lot refreezes!

hope this makes sense.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

All chlorides are salts and salt (sodium chloride) is a deicer why else would we be using it?:dizzy:

5. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

So tired of guys " Correcting" everyone. 99% of the time we know what you mean!

6. Grn Mtn

mean, its a matter of getting everyone using the same language so our customers understand better. I understand salts are chlorides but if i bid an account for salting using CaCl/MagCl mix at X price because its concrete lot and Joe SnowPlow bids X price less a bunch and wins the bid because were both "salting" yet were using very different products with different price points. the customer thinks i'm way over priced for salting.

okay so the analogy sucked (but you know what i mean:rolleyes:) lol

7. Grn Mtn

yes yes your technically correct, but what I didn't get across very well was the point that when common folk talk "salt" they are referring to NaCl.