1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re-Calibrate speedo

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Oct 7, 2010.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I replaced my 265 75 R16 tires with 305 70 R16 tires and was wondering if my 99' NBS truck's spedo is cable/gear driven or would I need to use a scan tool to re-calibrate the speedo, my speedometer is now 3 mph off and so my miles also don't register the correct mileage.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

tech 2 or maybe aftermarket programmer.

3. DJ Contracting

So a snap on scan tool won't/can't re-calibrate it?

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Im not sure sure I have not used snap on since the old brick scanners.

5. DJ Contracting

Is a tech 2 a gm tool?

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Yes, it's a GM tool - but don't buy one just to recalibrate the speedometer. Some GM dealers will recalibrate for you with the Tech 2 (some free, and some charge), and some won't do it at all, or won't even know how to do it. Most aftermarket/handheld programmers (Hypertech, Edge, Superchips, etc...) will allow you to change the speedo. Keep in mind, that none of them - even the Tech 2 can change the tire size used for the ABS computer.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And you won't adjust it by only 3 MPH with a Tech II and a factory re-flash as you only have a few choices in axle ratios and none of them will be correct for only a 3 MPH adjustment. Aftermarket handheld or custom tune are your only real options.