1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Re-attaching trip springs on a speedcast??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Serenescapes, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Due to the wonderful 60 degree temps. I decided to put fresh paint on my old speedcast. I took everything apart, springs, edge, blade... I will be putting it back together this weekend hopefully. I was wondering if someone could direct me as to the best way to re-attach the springs. My idea was to re-insert the tops and drill a small hole there, then to put a small grade 8 with locking nut in the top where I ground out the rivet. Now for the bottom? How would you guys suggest is the easiest way to compress the springs to the holding point on the trip edge?

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i put them in a vise and use 2 pairs of vise grips and just walk them down and put a pin in the spring bar to hold the spring down bolt the bottom on the trip edge and bang the bolt out or put them in the press

3. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Don't have a vice that big. So your saying to put the bottom in first?

4. Morrissey snow removal

put the bottom of the of the spring bar in the vise put the spring on the bar and put one pair of vise grips on the spring bar push it down put the second set on push it down take the first pair opf and keep going till u get it low enough to put a bolt in the hole to hold the spring down

5. Morrissey snow removal

kind of hard to explain do your spring bars have a hole in the top of them?

6. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Not yet. Gotta drill out where i ground off the rivet. I get the walking down thing now. Duh!

7. Morrissey snow removal

8. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

That's kinda cool tool idea. Could probably fabricate something with some all thread and a little steel. I'll probably just use your vise grip idea though. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks again bud. I talked with Angelos yesterday. Should have the solenoid by tomorrow. I'll mak sure I post some pics of the plow and truck here soon on the pics page. Keep an eye for em'.

9. Morrissey snow removal

i made one after the one i bought from fisher broke good luck put up spome pics ill look for them

10. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I will. Thanks again.

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I do them all the time on minute mounts with a big screwdriver not a big deal never needed any special tools.

12. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

cool. good to know. just hope its as easy as you folks make it sound.