1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rclb 2500 vbox?

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by the new boss 92, Dec 27, 2011.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have been looking on snow-x website and i keep seeing there demo spreaders mounted in f-150's. now i would like to get something a little bigger than i need and grow into it but dont want to hurt my truck, but after owning a chevy truck sence 16 i know what they are cabable of. the truck is a 89 chevy 2500 rc/lb with the 8600 gvwr. i have added firestone 5k airbags in the rear to help with the weight as i tow alot and have alot of weight in the bed most of the time. what v-box spreader would you recomend? it might be swapped out on another srw 1ton every now and then and that one wont have air bags, but both trucks will be D plated! it will be used on about 6 lots a storm and will be adding in the future! i just dont want to get out and load a tailgate spreader id rather load with a skid steer and be nice and warm in the truck the whole night.

what do you guys think?

2. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

I ran an F150 with a Vmaxx 7550 for a couple years. I did not have airbags but I did have "super springs" added to the back. It was a heavy load and I know it was overweight but it held the load and worked great. The truck was an '06, I do not remember the gvwr but I'm sure you could look that up to compare.
    Snowex also makes a smaller V-box but it all depends on what size load you need going out to see if it will make sense for your route.

3. the new boss 92

i was looking at the sp6000, but im afraid im going to have to sell it and buy another oner due to the size after a year or 2

i was also looking at the 7550, but it only holds .4 c yards than the 6000 and like i said in the origanal post i think i might outgrow it pretty quick.

so i was origanally looking at the sp 8500, but was afraid it was going to be to much on my truck but then again you had a 7550 in a 150? what do you think? like i said i only want to buy once once and be done. the other truck in my first post will be a flat bed aswell.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking of going with a 8500 if I did not put another truckcraft setup in the new truck, but the dealer was saying i should go with the 7550 due to gvwr. I know chevies can take the weight as I load mine up with 2 tons throughout the season and I have the airbags as well. It is only another 600lbs difference and most likely you will out grow the smaller spreader and you will be mad at yourself in 2 years like you said. And who says you have to fill the thing all the way. If you only need a ton then just get a ton and down the road you. My vote is the larger unit and to spray the frame down with fluid film to keep it nice. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

5. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

Based on what you are telling me I would have to say you should go with the 8550 and just load what you need in it for now and as you get more accounts can add more weight. The 8550 is rated by Snowex to hold an additional 1,080lbs. over the 7550. With a total capacity of 4,320lbs. that would be an extremely heavy load for a 1/2 ton. Not to mention the box itself weighs an additional 230lbs.
    Maybe the real answer to this is adding a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to your fleet and that way you are not limited by a 1/2 ton truck.

6. the new boss 92

that was my thought, might only need 1500 lbs the first year but the second i might need 2000 everytime out. make sence to grow into something over a 3 year period vs buy a new spreader every other year. i have the airbags to support the weight, and i dont care what anyone says, mostly every truck with a v-box is mos ov the time over weight the first lot or 2.
    i have a 3/4 ton and am adding a 1 ton soon. the 150 was another user that posted( second post?)

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

LOL, I was about to quote "the new boss 92" and say if it ain't overweight then it ain't a plow truck... till I realized it was YOU posting this. :laughing:

8. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

The 7550 will hold 2500lbs easy with the tarp still fitting over the top. You could get more if you do not use the tarp.
    Unfortunately I know this becuase I filled it with bags to see how much it would hold and to line the spreader off to see how much I had used/had left in the hopper.
    By the sounds of it this may save you some money up front and could last you a good while. One advantage of going to the 8550 though would be the salt traxx porgram Snowex offers. I have heard a lot of mixed responses but when I looked at it at GIE it seemed very simple to implement and use.

9. the new boss 92

lol its true, mostly ever truck with a loded v box is over weight and the plow on the front its over weight, rether people admit it or not.
    i seen the digi tracker system they came out with and was reading alot of mixed reviews. i think im going to buy a nice used one for now and if i stay with the snow removel and salting ill sell everything and buy all brand new stuff down the road.

10. the new boss 92

im thinking its going to be an 8500/8550. just got to see whats used and out there right after winter!

11. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

Might be able to find one really cheap after this winter at an auction where someone went out of business.