1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by firebug130, Dec 10, 2008.

1. firebug130

firebug130 Member

I know what my rates are but have seen recently a wide range of rates. Truck rates vs man hour rates, hours seperate and hours combined. We do not get alot of snow here but salt a few times per year. How is it that there are so many different ways to bid and why such a wide range of estimates for the same job ? Just something to think about.

I know some guys that charge $ 85.00 truck hour and 65.00 per man hour. Some even bid at 130.00 - 160.00 hr including truck and man. I just wish it was simpler process.

Salting rates are wide range as well, just don't understand.
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It is all regional, Amount of Overhead, Equipment available, Type of Product Use, Man Power. Each company is different and that effects there pricing. No clear cut answer. The thing I think about when it comes to bidding is what do I have to charge to make a profit. Simple, but different for each of us...
  3. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Depends on your area too and how desperate other guys are. We charge around $60.00 per truck...as the actual contractor (3/4 tons 8 footers with wings) and we are getting lowballed. Lost several long standing accounts this year that were VERY satisfied customers. It was the man the guy is so much less, we are going to try him out thing and it was different guys for each account.
  4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Jon, guy near Detroit was wondering if $65/hr to sub was a good rate. I said he should be happy with that.

I bid what it cost me and my percentage of profit. Alot of people bid salt by the ton. That includes equipment and driver to put it down. Some bid by the hour, by the pound, by the bag.

You have to do what you feel comfortable doing it for. I have bid jobs where I was the low guy and left $10k a year on the table. But you know what? I got the job for what I felt okay getting it for. Would I have liked that extra $10k? Yea. Would the other guy liked to have lowered his price by $10k? Probably not.