1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rates for skidsteers?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rdbpower, Dec 7, 2008.

1. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

What is the average rate for a skidsteer with a snobucket vs a snowbox. Thanks

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Ive seen as low as $125, which is rediculous, and as high as $300/HR for a midsized SSL. Id like to see the rates around different areas. Considering the operating cost and the moving costs I like seeing $200-250 myself.

3. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I would love to get that kind of money for a skid steer, not around here. I'm happy with the 125.00

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Looks like I'm moving to Jersey next winter :nod:

5. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I charge anywhere from $100-$135 for a skid with an angle plow.

If its got one of the pushers on it, no less than $135-$150

But....

We do some places where I've got an angle plow and the pusher there...and we use both. Some areas we can't get into with the pusher......if its something like this where I know I'm going to be using both I just write it up as $135 an hour

6. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

300 for a skid loader..... not seen in pa more like 100-135 depending on size and with whats on the front...........

7. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

We are getting between $100 to $125 for ours.

8. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 Member

Wow those are great numbers I am normally getting only 60-75 an hour for mine. I need to ask for more.

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

those numbers seam extreamly high to me I wouod think it be below $100

10. shovelracer

For 125 it can stay parked at the yard. More chance of damage, more tire wear, higher replacement cost, etc. I can by a fleet of semi used 3/4 tons and make 125 x all day long. and when it is over they can just drive right back home. When I figure my rates its turn key. If it takes me 3 hours of prep and 3 hours of pushing, the rate is 6 hours worth for the skid. So to answer the responses I may get 125 / Hr for the skid, but it includes everything from the moment I look at it to the moment I plug it back in. So while other are not charging for their prep time and get 375 for a 3 hour push, I can get 750. I think that is fair considering I can hook up a plow in 60 seconds and go.

The 300/hr was an industrial park that was trying to cheap out. It was massive and they had pretty ignorant requests. It wasnt worth the 300/hr if you ask me.

11. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I think he asked for the "Average" rate, not the "Ignorant" rate. And from the sound of it, I'd say he is new to using a skid for snow removal or new to the business all together and is asking for some honest help......rdbplower....I hope you didn't use those $300 an hour figures for a bid or contract you were trying to get.

12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

WOW - too bad there is not a funny gif what shows a butt load of money.

How much is a skidsteer worth ??? Well, it depends. First off the perception is that the skidsteer is faster than a pickup for clearing a lot. All around should be able to out perform hands down. A push box not a bucket, not a straight blade unless doing driveways and has turbo.

I've seen great driver/equipment packages that can rip through a lot and do a quality and clean job without having to be spoon feed or supported by multiple pickups... These guys take the headache out and are worth 1.5 to 2.5x over a pickup.

Then again I've seen driver/operators who have caused more work and stunk and are worth less than an atv trying to do a 200k sq foot lot.

13. stauffer.80

stauffer.80 Junior Member

A contractor just told me today that they pay $85 with a pusher on it. Piss on that, not when we can get $130/hr as a sub.

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The last bid opening i went to 4 contrctors bid $80-85 for a SS. and then there was a guy in there at $45 per hour. I thought I was giving a screaming deal at $85.00

The guys that are getting $125+ , thats great if you can. Most small back hoe loaders with 12' boxes are only going for low to mid 100's per hour

15. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

well then i guess im goin to bill for the skid loader.... washing after each use greasing after i plow the lots.. its all basic maintenance of owning a machine that in a sence is not billable to a cust if u are bidding on a property.. 300 per hour is rediculous

16. shovelracer

I disagree completely. Your rate needs to include covering you for the time it takes to clean and grease and fuel and transport your machine. That machine consumes x amount in maintenance fees and your time, plus replacement costs, insurance etc. These are all part of what you need to know to get your rate. If you charge 85 / hr cause that is what everyone is charging you are just going to lose money like everyone else. If you lose work because of your price than you are not doing your job of selling your services properly.

Most of us have other businesses the rest of the year. Do you price your business based on others or do you price it based on your costs. About the only thing knowing your neighbors price is good for is knowing what the market will bare. If you cant get work cause your prices are too high than you need to reduce your costs in order to lower your prices. I look at it like this and this is only my opinion. You can get a pretty decent truck and plow for under 10K and it will last you a good 5+ years with minimal maintenance if you choose the right vehicle. Have you ever seen a good reliable skid for under 10K with a plow. Most skids Ive seen are pretty tired for 10K and not so sure Id want to be in it at 3AM when it breaks. Maintenance costs are higher and more frequent on a skid.

With that said I would rather use my skid over 2 trucks anyday, but if I cant get my rates than the trucks can push all day long. I dont work for free. A lot of people do though and it is the reason why companies go under every year.

17. Otts

Otts Junior Member
    from WI

Wow, you guys are lucky. All guys do around here is under cut each other. We get $75/hr for your bobcat w/ 8' snow bucket. A big excavating outfit has 3 endloader with 12' blades on them, I heard he gets $125/hr for each of them.

18. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I bought a 75XT 3 years ago with just over 1500 hours...I looked and looked but I wasnt spending over $11,500 for a loader came across that loader after 2 months of searching...its got around 2100 hours now....in the time I've owned it repair wise....Maybe $1500 bucks.
    I'm sure it cost the manager of some McDonalds 20-30 bucks a to drive to and from work for fuel...add in an oil change every 3 months....now he has all his figured and calculations and goes to the owner and says Oh BTW...I incurred these expenses....pay me. That owner is gonna say bye bye ....why cause there are others that can do just as good a job or better for less money.
    All your doing is price gouging.

19. zigzag82

zigzag82 Junior Member

Here in Grand county Colorado, we are getting $100\hr for a SS, and $150 to $180\hr for our loaders with plow. On the loaders it depends on if we are plowing, bucketing, or pulling Ice.There is a guy upi here that is charging $200\hr for a single speed bobcat S185 with, get this, a bucket. Then he charges $50 more if he has to use his tooth bar.

20. shovelracer

Price gouging would be more like if they didnt have a choice of a lower price somewhere else and I was taking advantage of their situation by charging a higher rate. There is nothing wrong with having a higher price than someone who doesnt know their expenses. Its called a free market. You arent going to go to the Mercedes dealer and tell them you can get a toyota across the street for half the pricce are you. Thats not price gouging.

As far as the McD'd manager it is his responsibility to determine whether or not his $10/Hr can cover his cost of living. That includes his fuel. Yes the owner isnt going to give him more money cause he bought a new car, but the manager also has the ability to refuse the job and take a higher paying one.

Same applies here. It is your responsibility to determine what it really costs to not only own the SSL, but higher a driver, transport it, maintain it, store it, and replace it. That rate is going to be unique to you and no one elses rates should effect that. The actual amount / HR is irrelevant. The point is that your rate should be different than anyone elses, and their rates should be different from another guys. By everyone charging the same rate is what is called "Price Fixing".