1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rates 2009 ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Sep 29, 2009.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

We had an increase last winter and retained most of our accounts. Im wondering what most people are going to do this season? Diesel fuel is supposed to remain close to where it is now through the winter months.
  2. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

just sent out an increase to 20 clients...we will see.............
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I had increases scheduled for a few customers. Those that were too low last year will see an increase. Holding steady with the rest.
  4. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Dropping prices to compete with the lowballers.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dude, with the equipment you're running, you'll have the whole damn town.

Any mods on the S-10 to carry that pusher?
  6. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Not yet but working hard to get it. :)

Ya it has a K&N air filter on it.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice LMAO!
  8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Staying the same or loweing some bids. Apparently I missed the memo last year that everyone stayed the same, so the jobs I really want, I dropped a few bucks from last years bid, so we'll see what happens this year.
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Last year when I sent my contracts out gas was still over $4.00 a gallon, so I raised everyone and did the same amount as the year before. This year I will be using the same price's as last year. Snowplowing for residential drives here has always seemed way to low to me.
  10. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Im trying to hold steady with no increase over last year. One bid changed because they want snow drifts plowed even if it doesnt snow, it by the lake so it drifts alot and caused the bid to double, I wont know if its mine untill October.

Scotts; I know how you feel. Joe Jerkoff's plowing just peppered my buddies neighborhood with flyers for snowplowing.... and get this..... 160 for the season, twice a day, at two inches!!!!

My reaction: Are you F@$%#$^ Kidding me?!?!? 160 F@!%$@ bucks for the whole season?!?!? Were in the snowbelt East of Cleveland!!! We average over 70 inches of snow in a year. Drives out here are at least 200. Low balln @$@$@^@#&$^$%@#$@^&$.

Sorry for the rant. I was thinking of calling the guy later and asking what the tax rate is and if its included, and asking for proof of insurance. Anyone think that would be a A$$ hole thing to do? Oh im a lil upset rite not, just lost 2 big ones to lowballers - they came in 40% lower than me. Im hoping my phone rings during the first decent storm and I get them back.
  11. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I mess with alot of those kinda guys, Ill get their card off the board and call them and ask all kinda questions lmao its a good time go on and try it. I have a card right now that says "Ill beat anyones price" and on the back it has a by______ % wow what a easy way out when you have no clue what your doing. Im sure there is a lot of guys like that on this site but alls I can say is sorry and be nice when I call. :D
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

In the lovely depressed state of Michigan, we're going back about 10-15 years and using those rates.

That's for those who are lucky enough to be employed and own a home yet that hasn't been foreclosed on. Or are haven't just left this God-forsaken state.

Or who are still in business.
  13. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

Lux.... I just might happen to live in the neighborhood you are talking about...... I'm over in Highland Heights.
  14. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

So true...
  15. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

disregard my previous post.... i meant kodiak.
  16. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Kodiak, what suburb are you in?
  17. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Im trying to hold up to last years prices but i have had 2 customers call me and ask what I can do for them on price, because they are getting bids between 25-50% LESS THAN MINE!!!! I have been doing these properties for 5 years now so i have good repoor with them, so what i did was give them a break on salt, because all my other prices i have figured down to the penney.... they seem happy with that as they dont really want to change service but when you are getting up to a 50% savings i can see where they are comming from, My thought for this year is keep the money comming in, as close to normal prices as i can if i have to take a little hit on my profit to keep the customer and keep it out of the lowballers hand i have done my job. because the lowballer will try and go even lower on other bids to the point where he is bankrupt in no time at all.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry Mark I'll buy lunch.:D
  19. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Lux, Im in the lake co area. I like to keep a low profile on this site, due in part because so many people stumble across it and end up using the info against us. Just look at the users on the bottom of the page, almost always 3 or 4 times the number of "guests" as members. True we may not always sign on, but who the "guests" are could be the vast majority of people undercutting us and taking away our bread and butter while driving the market to the bottom.

I know Im new here, and I like helping people out as much as I can, like so many others on this site. But I would caution eveyone against being too helpfull and talking too many numbers, in my opinion it makes it to easy for Joe Jackoffs plowing to come in and undercut and take business frome us. Like many others here I have seen many getting into plowing for the first time this year, hoping to make some money, all without the proper ins, regisgration ect ect.

Good luck to all. Sorry if im so synical.