1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rate The Curtis 3000plow

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Sep 28, 2007.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, two years ago I was talked into a plow that would suit my 03 1500 dodge pick up. Liked the truck, plow and set up but still had some minor quirks I couldn't get over.

I've tried most of the plows out there and i'm more confused than ever in what to buy this year. Keep in mind I am constantly rotating my plow trucks for new virgin plow trucks due to the abuse and corrosion factors.

So this is where I need your help, if you own a 3000 Curtis blade could you give me your honest opinions good or bad. Any info would be greatly appriciated.

Mounting a 8.0' blade on a 02CHEV 2500HD ECLB w/6.0L V8.

Thanks for your input.

DAFF

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Daff
    Had one on a 2001 chevy and loved it, the only thing was could be a problem was the main plug. I hear they changed that plug. Love the hydro jack stand. Easy to hook up.

Regards Mike

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i got mine in 2005 i wish it would lift higher and that where more oem dist around but its one of the best plows i own and i would move it on to another truck or buy another one

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

love mine, its a real heavy duty plow, i have never had a problem with mine, and mines several years old, the next plows i buy will def be curtis.

5. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

haven't used mine yet

this will be my first year using a Curtis (39 years with Fisher)

I'm not certain about the angle of departure (unit seems lower to the ground), I've already dug a rut in my lawn (second, non-driveway), I use to get in and out - never had that problem with the Fisher. I haven't installed the Timbrens yet - don't know if that will help.

The hydraulics seem to react faster than Fisher - need to wait till the temperatures drop in order to be certain.

Part of my decission was because there is almost no place to put the Fisher electrical modules under the hood of the '03 dodge 2500.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Going in for install this week. Let you know how I like it.

Thanks for the feedback

DAFF

7. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Been using a Curtis for three years now. Love the plow for the most part. Good features include the jack stand (essential for those of us who don't have a paved surface to store it on because the stand lets you compensate for settling), the speed of movement, the water-tightness of the cover, and the pistol-grip controller. The only problem I've had with the plow was the plug. Easy as can be to make connections in the summer; but when the weather turns cold the rubber is so stiff it can be a real bear! Line it up a bit off and you bend one or more of the metal connectors...and good luck getting everything lined up properly in adverse conditions!

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Just made it hame with the new blade. Seems to be everything which I hoped for. The location of the main plug is stupid. This is the first thing to change. The only other thing is the speed of the plow. Think my Arctic has it beat, and it's 7 years old.

The best thing is no overheating issues, at 42 degrees outside ran 50mph and guage ran as normal.

DAFF

9. Dartsport

Dartsport Junior Member

This will be the 2nd year with my Curtis. I like it a lot. Works as good as the Myers plows that I have used for the last 12 to 15 years....

10. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I like mine....sometimes. Couple flaws I found is the connections to the headgear sit to low to the ground. The fishers are superior stacking snow than the curtis. I blew fuses like it my job last year with it, so i put a fusable link on the power line to the controller and it's fine now. Also my hydro jack stopped working, no big deal to me really. The plug needs to have a locking system put on it, i use a bungie cord to hold my plug in place firmer during a storm. The pros to it, it scraps to tar better than a fisher does due to the angle the cutting edge sits. The trip spring are superior to a meyers, they trip if the plow gets caught up but doesn't flop as hard under a heavy load. Easy hook up, never had a problem in that department. Thats my experience with the curtis. I would probably buy another one, not a big fan of the newer style, looks wise.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Mine has the flipstyle cutting edge on it. Are these edges made of a softer steel than most. For the hours on the blade there seems to be excessive wear, compared to my other blades. For the blade is only 2 seasons old and the previous owner didn't have half of the contracts as I have.

12. duramaxed

duramaxed Junior Member

Hi Daff, I 've had my Curtis for 3 years, I like it for the most part but I'm really starting to get annoyed about the lift height , every time a pull into a driveway either the bottom of the blade or belly of the mount is scrapping the ground, I don't have any extra springs and the truck sags but not that much. Also I had issues with blade wear , last plow of last year, the cutting edge came right off(all bolts broke(probably replaced 40+ bolts in 3 years)) and the guy driving din't noticed and plowed a few more hours with the mouldboard. The bolt holes were now U shaped, we welded an old blade to the bottom for support and than drilled new holes in the moldboard. This time though ,I got a Western blade and matched the bolt pattern, I was going through 2 blades a year and our Westerns were getting 2 years out of 1. Hope it works better, any way good luck to all this winter.:drinkup:

13. PLOWMAN45

i had a tough time getting it to line up so when i got it on i left it of i think everthing should be mechanical like western fisher or simple meyers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  14. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Dah

This will be the third season on my blade and I really like it. The only other blade I've had before was a really old western and this one hooks up soooooo much easier.

It could use a better factory paint to help with the corrosion and I don't like the control pad. Joystick mounted on the drivers widow would work better for me.

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have like 4 seasons on mine and the cutting edge just now needs changing, and i plow 2 big commercial lots, and 25 drive ways.

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Used the Curtis blade last night and was happy with the performance. The blade hooks up easy and moves snow well. The snow was very heavy and waterloged and still cleared nice. So far so good, the real test will be in the deep stuff.

DAFF

17. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

Glad to hear that it is working out for you.

I am waiting for one that I purchased from a member here (nascar 24) and am looking forward to having a run with it to see what it will move with my F250 diesel.

18. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

We got a total of 22 inches in the last 24 hours (still coming down!) and the 8' Curtis on my Chevy 2500HD did just fine. I plowed about 10" in the morning before work and again when I got home. The only problem is even with the metal wing on top that light fluff comes up and over, blinding me at times till the wipers catch up. Might try a rubber strip at the end of the metal wing to see if that makes a diff.

Gawd how I love snowy days!

19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Have a 10" piece of conveyor belt bolted to the top of mine. Have had the same ploblem with any blade I had. The Conveyor belt doesn't look the best but you can plow at 25mph without having the wipers on.

DAFF

20. PLOWMAN45

we got all heavy wet ice snow payup