1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rate of snow fall

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Acorn, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I read threads saying that no more than 3" of snow or less accumulates on their sites before they are plowed. Our last storm on Jan 5 started at noon and we had 12" by 3 PM with a total of about 24" by midnight. Just curious about how fast the snow usually falls in the eastern states.

2. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I've had something like that just once.

I just went home and waited till it was over.

Went out a couple times to plow entrences and paths but other then that there was no way to keep up.

3. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

More times than not, this is the way the snow comes around here. People are a bit more patient with snow removal because they have to be.

Some aren't. I was late on a Sunday morning getting a lady out (had already been there 2 times during the night and you wouldn't know it) She calls me up and sais "Oh God I'm going to be late for church" I said God made it snow so he will forgive you for missing church.

4. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

LOL, good one Acorn, We don't get too many like that, at least not last year or this one yet. But you are more than welcome to send it our way, and then we could tell you.... I think we got hit like that two years ago, if I remember correctly. I was not plowing anyone else that year ( of course ) but I did not see many out working it either, just did what I could to keep mine done, What a pile it made.... :p I think we had to have close to 3' in almost 2 days... Those are the good times.

5. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

The storm we had over Christmas, came down about 1 in an hour. It started at 7 at night, by 1 am we had close to 6 inches on the ground, went by one of our accounts, a hotel, and cars were having trouble getting in and out. We plowed the lot, except for a couple cars, and then hit it again in the morning. Got a call from the owner that day, complaining that we plowed him twice, he only wanted to pay for one plow, as he wanted us to wait till it stopped snowing before we plowed his lot. We ended up getting close to 10 inches, and we explained to him that we were not going to push 10 inches at one time, too hard on our equipment. After 15 minutes with this guy, we told him if he did not like it, to find someone else. He said he liked our work, and wanted to keep us, he is just a cheap skate.

John

6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

jbutch83,

Yeah, That has to be the number one pain of weather/budget guessing.

And we all know to service a hotel correctly, It probably should have been three pushes.... To get a small Honda to stop for a room.

Really would have heard it then though...

:rolleyes:

I say, Good guess...... jbutch83

7. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

If we see rates of 1-1.5" per hour thats a good rate for the coast line. The last couple of storms around here have had rates of 3" per hour but thats well away from the coast. The longest sustained one inch per hour rate was the blizzard of 97, 25.4 inches in 24 hours. It all melted around here in about 4 days.

8. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

The Christmas storm had a band of snow come through droped 3-5" an hour, or atleast thats what the weather guessers say. Also had a storm last winter the weather guesses predicted 1-3 with rain at the onset, snowed 4" an hour for four hours.(ooops)
    Casey

9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

send 24" here

The biggest snowfall we've had here was 3.5" this season. The last time we had that kind of snow (98-99..22.5") they shut down everything. Started snowing sat at about 1 a.m. by sat afternoon while briving home from plowing toward the city I had to zig-zag through cars that were stuck and/or broke down, on the biggest highway in our area (4 lanes total). By 10 p.m. I was getting told to go home by our cheif of police because they were shutting down all the roads in the area until 7 a.m. the next day. So right now I'd settle for a nice 2", at least have a chance to go out and make $$. Have only been out twice this year, and getting discouraged.

10. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Our christmas storm we had a few hours we averaged 4" 0r 5" an hour ( According to the news ) it sure as hell felt like it, 4 trucks on the road and struggled to keep up. Thank god no one broke or got stuck. It was a safe and profitable storm
    Good luck all

Rick