1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rate / lane mile vs. rate / acre parking lot ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kubota 8540, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Can the rate / lane mile be used as a reference for rate / acre parking lot or does the traffic flow affect the rate? I'm looking for opinions on pounds of rock salt and/or # of gallons.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

1 ton per lan per mile

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

IMO, No, it takes a fraction of the amount of salt to do a road compared to a parking lot.

Eh?

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

@ 8 times the required rate for most conditions.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:popcorn: anyone?

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Are you a Bonehead..Or do you just throw out numbers to be funny....Oakland County puts down 400 pounds per lane mile...Thats an order from MDOT...Since the countys are just sub-contractors to MDOT......

7. Mark Oomkes

I need more :popcorn: :popcorn:

8. Matson Snow

No More....I promised myself im on my Best behavior today....:nod:

9. Matson Snow

Anyway...I gotta go start Warming-up...Deep knee bends, sit-ups,squat thrusts..Looks like we might get some snow...Hopefully the Coach will put me in the Game....xysport

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

.......don't forget about the 12 oz curls.:drinkup:

11. Matson Snow

Come on now.....Im in training....:eek:

12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are just passing along what you have read, don't believe everything you read. If you are drawing from your experiences, don't. Or if you are just trying to increase your post count try here.....http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Thanks for your input. How come there is no clarification of the two?

Butter and salt, or just butter? I would still like to hear your opinion on this after you have finished. I highly doubt you are short on opinions.

13. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

Some towns in WI use only 150 lbs per lane per mile. most cities is chicago area use 300 lbs / lane / mile. that's what we use. for lots it is roughly 1 ton / acre. give or take depending on temperature and thickness of ice.

14. Matson Snow

Mark O.. Your hero John Allin says Everyone Uses WAY to much salt..He says you can use as little as 600# per acre..Salt usage all depends on site conditions,Air temps,what the customer expects..What the customer is gonna pay for....

15. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i meant 1 ton per lan per 5 miles, :laughing:

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Roads take less mainly because they are always driving with the blade down and vehicles tires pick it up and carry it along to spread out more.

As far as lots go. I used 2 tons on about 4 acres the other day to melt off a 1inch layer because I didn't want to plow it for under a inch in most places. Normally when I plow the lot then drop salt I will use between 45 and 50 bags to accomplish the same outcome.

My controller only has numbered settings and the amount per lane mile would all depend on how fast I drive. I do know there are controllers that set for lane mile usage but I don't do any roads.

17. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I use and have used for several years a benchmark of 1000 lbs per acre. More seems excessive and doesn't really get you there any(much) faster. And as far as JA, well.............I think he's made his own example of how NOT to do things, so take a it with a grain of salt.........LOL.

18. Mark Oomkes

Yeah, I know.

He also said we need to stop bidding, whatever that means.

And he also said dedicated salt trucks are the ONLY way to go.

He also used to own a large snow and landscape company.

He also used to be president of a snow melter company.

He's also been relegated to writing some blog that I bet there are only a handful of people that read it, even less that understand it.

Seriously, under perfect conditions, he's correct. Just too bad we don't have perfect conditions every time we are out.

Whoa there buddy, if you're from Central Indiana you could have stretched this 1 inch into 4 applications of salt plus a plowing. Course, you also need to have the initials of BS.

19. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Mark, Well said..........

Too many "USED TOs" for me to take what that man says as the gospel. Though his advice is like anyone elses, you have to take what they say and apply it where you can, save what you may use sometime and discard the rest.

And what Mark said about ideal conditions was also put well, I can think of a handful of times where conditions were "ideal" and thats why I said benchmark, sometimes more sometimes less.

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Just a hunch. But in general roads are taken care of by a municipal agency and they like to waste money...er....I mean fund studies that analyze stuff like this and then publish the results.

Parking lots in general are done by private contractors and application rates are considered more of a "proprietary" information.