1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rate for shovelers

Discussion in 'Employment' started by ServiceOnSite, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

what is the going rate for just shovelers?? we have a crew of guys that are getting 12 an hour from one of the contractors i work with. is thisan ok rate or not enough. i know its not skilled labor but it does suck being out in the cold all the time???

2. captfudd

captfudd Member

I am paying my guys between $11 & $15 depending on how many years they have been with me

3. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

seems fair

4. Pay between 10 and 15.
    Here's a great idea( in my mind)
    we call roofers. They have hard working crews, and guess what? They can't work on the roofs during a snowfall! They usually get a day or two off. You might be able to work a deal with the roofing company. It helps them to give their guys hours when winters are generally slower!

Steve Hoogenakker

5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

tymusic
    Well I probably pay too much but $18+ an hr seems fair for 20+ hrs in gross weather plus they seem eager for the work. I only know that I wouldn't do it for 10-12 an hr :nono:

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

have been paid $22 an hour here

7. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

$10 to $12 a hour

8. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Im paying 2 guys here, to snowblow $20 bux and hour, some tell me thats an awesome price, others tell me Im too cheap

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

20 is perfect for our area. we give mexicos 15

10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You Iceyman, go easy on that $15 stuff. I give my 36 Mexicans $8.5 an hour, if they see your post they might want a raise!! :eek:

11. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

What are you trying to do make them kings back home?

12. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Wow that 05' shovel must showing it's age. Hopefully the note's paid off soon so you can get a new one! :salute:

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I pay no less than $15 for shovelers, 17.50 for drivers and 20.00 for foreman.....dont worry though, they all still ***** and think they are worth $500 a storm.

14. lmarine

lmarine Member

well two $13 an hour guys did not show up for the new years day shoveling but the $17 all there Hmmm ....

15. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

You guys are hilarious........You pay them less for the same work, but if they were to undercut you on their own, you would cry like babies.........:cry::cry:

16. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I pay no less that 20 per hour

17. amendoza83

amendoza83 Junior Member

I PAY MY MEXICAN LABORERS $20 BUCKS AN HOUR AND MY MEXICAN FOREMEN $30....... GEEZ I WONDER HOW MANY WHITE GUYS GO OUT FOR $8.50 AN HOUR? AND IF YOUR NOT NATIVE AMERICAN THEN YOUR AN IMMIGRANT JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DONT TRY TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK BETTER THEN ANYONE ELSE WE ARE ALL THE SAME.

:angry::angry::angry::angry

18. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I pay all my guys $20 hr. Shovelers, truck drivers, skidloader and wheel loader drivers. Never have a problem getting guys (or girls) to work for me. Will pay them when the work is finished or at the end of each week. Now, for my customers to pay our snow removal bills, that's a different story.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I second that, you just give them a reason to go and get their own work.

20. karol

karol Senior Member

Shovelers

Once a shoveler always a shoveler. Pay them well. There hard to find and keep. Maybe we should breed the good ones and open up a shovelers kennel.