1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RASK Corp. Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CHCSnowman, Dec 4, 2006.

1. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Any of you ever hear of RASK Corp. out of Indiana? They are trying to hire every snowplow sub they can in the Indianapolis area. Just wondered if any of you ever worked for them and how it was?

Thanks!
    Randy

2. GSU Lawn

GSU Lawn Member

Hey, I know the guy who runs it, bought some parts off of him. They have alot of BIG commercial contracts. Really reliable guys.

3. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

they only pay $50-$55 per hour. I can go to First Class and they pay $70-$75/hour. For RASK being so big, they don't pay very well in my opinion.

4. VanceCox@RASK

VanceCox@RASK Junior Member

R.A.S.K. Information

To answer some of your questions about R.A.S.K.......Yes, we are always looking for good, reliable independant contractors to join our organazation. We service hundreds of accounts that range in size from Jiffy Lubes on up to the Castleton Mall. Our standard truck rates are $50 for pickups utilizing straight blades and $55 for pickups using "V" or "Scoop" snowplows. Those are standard rates that apply to the guy with 1 truck his first year with our organization. We can negotiate a better rate structure if the situation warrants (i.e. multiple pieces of equipment and/or trucks). We do realize that our hourly rates are not always the highest in the industry, but as a R.A.S.K. Independant Contractor you can expect to get more hours, be treated fairly (no picking favorites), and paid quickly
    (7-10 days). Please call me anytime if you have any other questions.

5. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Don't mean to sound like a ass but all you big companys always use your " quick pay & lots of hours and were here to help our brokers" crap all the time and don't pay sh#t hourly. Quit trying to bull crap every one and get out your wallets and share the MILLIONS of dollars you make every year! Mabey you wouldn't have to be looking for new brokers every year if it wasn't so easy to go and make more money with someone else.
    We find if you pay well you get deadicated brokers that work there butts of for us and we have to turn away new guys every year because word gets around about good pay rates.
    :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: Whew! I feel lighter now, Sorry but thats been eating me for years!!

6. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I get a little creeped out by these big companies ran by big shooters that have never even ran a snowplow in their lives and dont own one piece of equipment.

I guess its part of the business. They are all over the place, but they are salesmen, first and foremost.

Thats what they do. And they generally got their start because one of their old college pals was high up in some national chain, or there was a networked opportunity that presented itself over a trip to Vegas.

Like I said.....its just creepy to me.

I met a guy in a meeting not too long ago that owns one of these companies and the first thing he said was....I quit a job making $250,000 a year to do this, and I dont own a snowplow, and never will.

7. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Yes, the guys who own these larger co's have more money than the average guy, and they use that to their advantage. Remember, they need to pad what rate you receive, and that way they make money. They can pay faster because of their wealth. That's business and if you had money, you'd do the same.

I've just quit doing some snow contracts for one such company up here. They don't own any equipment and sub it all out.

As a business man, you don't have to work for them, but you can get your own contracts and utilize some of their skills, like subbing out the work in some areas.

Remember, you can drool, or do like them and make the money.... just don't whine about it and be a man.... And I don't aim this to LLm.... it's to all the whiners :D

8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Not drooling. Just talking, but all those companies reak of the good ole boy network, and it could be inflatable *****'s they float around at sporting events, or knitting needles they sell. They dont care. It just so hapened that the original seed contract and contact fell into their laps because of who they knew and blew is all.

They are salesmen, and thats all they are.

And when you have put 26 years in the business like I have, you get a little tired of seeing these college boys comin along with their 70,000 dollar cars, fine clothes selling something I do with my hands, and the only reason its this they sell and not mud flaps, or sunroofs, or ding dongs, is because of someone they knew that seeded them.

Do you think the Upper Management thatruns Brickman or US Maintenance, Symbiot, Chemlawn or any other big hitter ever once got their hands dirty on anything but pencil lead, and hair gel?

Brickman may do 64 million a year but its the mom and pop/solo op's out there that work 16 hours a day and get it done, wearing all hats that get my respect over these shoe salesmen with their pretty nails, clean hands and Frat boy contacts.

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

At a boy llm I wont go with one of those company's just because I've worked to hard for too many years to build what I have. To give them the years of my experience is crazy but for the new guy it might be the easy way. Would like to give them 20 years ago when it was just a guess on what the storm was going to do and no all nite quickly mart to get fuel and food. Time will tell what happens to them we have seen them come and go but we still are here we are the webies we were here before you and will be here after you :gunsfiring:

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You did sound like a ASS. If you don't like there rates don't work for them. The next guy will. These guys I'm sure work really hard but they probably work smarter than the average plow guy also.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It sounds like you should worry about your $$$ and not how much someone else's truck costs or how much they make.
    You do realize that their are people out there that $40k for a truck is pocket change..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  12. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Thats OK paphillips, I don't mind sounding like an ass once and a while. I never have and never will work for one of them, but I do love getting the contracts that they end up not being able to fufill each year because there brokers get sick of getting ripped off and come work for me! So I guess I don't really dislike the big dumb ass co's at all, they end up giving me alot of business and CASH!!!!!:waving: :p

13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Do you think maybe they make more money because they are smarter/better business men than you?

I mean they might have some connections, but is that their fault?

I started off on my own, subbed for big companies, made my own connections and went from there. Everything I have now that's big money was thru connections and built from that.

It's life.

I can tell you companies getting malls, etc... rarely get them because of someone they know. They might get introduced to the bid, but that's it. And this shows your lack of knowledge in the industry. For the most part, they all get bid on, the larger companies can just do it cheaper and bid accordingly.

If a large company is bidding $150,000 on a place and want to drop there bid to $130,000 it's no trouble. For a small guy to do it, it's probably too much.

For you to take on a mall you would need to increase insurance, rent loaders, hire subs, etc..., etc... it would take large amounts of leg work, money, etc... for a large company that stuff is in place.

You are only as big as you try for. I know many large companies that started out with one truck aswell. Don't hate them because they are doing good.

14. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

If your refuring to me?? I don't hate them, especially because they do well, I dislike the fact that they don't feel they need to pay worth beans and they make milllions.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I was more refering to someone else.

But they only pay as little as the market will allow. If nobody will work for them at $50, no need to pay more. But there are tradeoffs like more work. I've subbed for large companies and you get more hours, fast pay, proper insurance coverage, etc... It's usually headache free. And if something goes wrong (ie they don't pay) you have a better chance at getting your money than if joe schmoe doesn't pay. There are lots of good small guys out there to work for too.

16. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

These national Maintaince firms are the future of Large commercial properties,so they won't be going anywhere.I'm not a fan of the way they come across so I just don't get involved with them directly,I just stick with residential and smaller commercial or subbing to those that win the larger malls and such,and to me I'm fine with that.

But with anything,do some research on the company your looking to work with,its much easier to say no thank you and walk away than be in the shoes of some on here that have never been paid from such companies.If a company is no good to work with you will hear about it fast enough.

17. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Oh I agree with what most of you are saying, beleave me, I wish I could go to bed every night they call for snow and just wait for someone to call me and say "it's time to go!'
    intead of getting up every hour to look outside. I'm just trying to make the point that if they paid a little more they would keep more guys coming back every year and not have to scramble to find brokers every year.

18. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Large property manegment firms stink aswel

It seems the larger the company the more they beat up your and the longer they sting you out on getting paid. I just got paid for some snow removal for 05 with a letter saying that they don't pay intrest fees which were just over $800. WTF is a honest hardworking man to do. I am tired of going above and beyond to do the best possible job to get nickled and dimed to death. Just my opinion

19. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for info guys. Sounds like RASK has it going on. I have been plowing for 5-6 years now and I get $75 per hour from a big landscape company that I work for in this area. They always pay within 7 days as well.

I am a general contractor specializing in roofing and siding and I tell you guys what, whether you like it or not you better get use to dealing with the big boys because they are not going away. I have several property management companies that are always sending me work in the way of apartments/condos to re-roof and other projects payup

I thought it was nice of Vance to come here and post the info he did. Thats a good way for a new guy to go. I wish I could have made $50 or $55 my first year plowing!! Imagine if you didnt have RASK and the others working newbies how many guys would be low balling your jobs :eek:

20. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

now i have no experience with the co so i would be a fool to stand up for him.. however he is not doing much different then most of you guys, he hires subs like u hire employees!!! the cheaper they work the more money he is going to make and u would do the same!!! if u had two guys with the same experience and both were just as reliable as each other and u were paying one 15 per hour and the other 10per hour and u had to let one go which one would go... also business is WHO U KNOW .. if its the little old lady down the road or a big shot at a management co. it don't make a difference..