1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rapid tach 2 boss v problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Snow-Kid, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

My buddy has a Rapid Tach 2 (pre smart hitch) boss v blade on a 97 chevy 1500 z71. The truck has two new batteries and new alternator this year and every time he raises or angle his plow the volts drop to 8 or 9. He is also having problems with his truck starting back up even if it sits for a hour or so then when he jumps it, it starts and runs fine. I think there is something messed up in the wiring on the truck side because we checked and cleaned all of the grounds and wires on the plow side this fall when we changed the fluid. Sorry for the long post but we have been trying to figure this out for the last couple of weeks on and off then when we think we got it working it proves us wrong. So I told him I would post it and see if you guys could give some suggestions. Thanks
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i suppose that it will start ok when the plow is off ! or not !
  3. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Yea it starts when the plow is off. I guess I forgot to add the blade has power even if the truck is off and don't have the key in the ignition.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The plow is drawing power.

You need to move the wire that controls the plow to an keyed source of power.

The reason it is drawing the power down is because it(the alt) is charging two batteries and running the plow at the same time.
    so move the control wire and recharge the batteries.