1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rant.

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by MikeRi24, Dec 30, 2008.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I have a SnowDogg MD68. the longer own it, the more I wish i would have spent the extra money for a better plow. So far, I am on my 3rd trailer jack thing they supply to hold the plow up when its not on the vehicle, the metal plate that bolts on top of the ram (more for decoration i guess) somehow lost BOTH screws holding it on, and thats long gone, and the plastic housing on one of the lights just cracked, and my dealer will not cover it under warranty, so thats prob at least $100 I don't really want to spend right now. Also, it takes me at least a half hour to put the thing on because the way its designed, everything has to be lined up absolutely PERFECT for the pins to slide in (it does both sides at once controlled by one lever mechanism) so if everything isnt on PERFECTLY level ground, you're screwed. I also dont think i should have to ram my full body weight into to frame to get it to lock in by shear force either. the mounting system on this thing is absolutely horrible, its such an awful design. I'm sure it works great on the floor at the test lab, but on a driveway thats not perfectly level, it doesnt work so well. Oh, and I know the blade is stainless, but everything else on it is rusted and corroded a lot already. Oh, did I mention I have only plowed ONE major storm with it? and I only do 6 small driveways? ok, im done now.

2. andyman5001

andyman5001 Member
    from NE Ohio

Sorry to here your problems with the Dogg. I had the same issue with attaching it on unlevel ground. I now just lift up the blade and place a couple 2X2s under it. this helps a lot with getting everything lined up. As for the rest of your problems, I hope mine doesnt follow suite. So far no problems whatsoever. I have been out a dozen times or so times.

Good Luck in the future.

3. Rhyno6

Rhyno6 Junior Member

Problem one time

I have a 8'6" vx model on my 2500hd. I have experienced your problem one time and it was my fault. Before you remove the plow you must put the plow in float go to the front of the plow and push the lift cylinder down This must be done before removal and while power is to the plow. Since reading the owner manual and doing what it says I have not even had a single problem. My driveway is very uneven so I know that I requires you to do this or you will lose your mind trying to mount it.

Ryan

4. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have only removed mine once sice i got it and I did have alittle problem getting it back on and i was on level ground, I will do what you said and drop the float when i take it off again you do have to have everything just right to get it locked in place putting it back on. As for the jack every reveiw that i read befor i even bought it everone said it sucked. didnt even put mine on when i had the plow installed.go get your self a cheap floor jack works much better. I have only used mine a couple times and it is showing rust in a few spots and i keep mine in the garage when not in use. Its going to happen Im sure any other plow made does the same.Its metal what would you expect. I only wish we would get some real snow around here so I can really use it. couple inches here and there is no real test.

5. slowhand11404

slowhand11404 Junior Member

So far so good with my MD68, but you are right, putting the plow on can be a pain. I thought it was just me.

6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

here we go again....i should NOT have to fight with this thing for an hour and 10 minutes to get in on......

7. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

omg i feel the same way putting mine on again today, wife said i should of spent the extra money and got the weastern. lol still no hat.

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

If it's taking you more than a minute or two to mount - than I recommend you go back to your dealer to look at things. Everything on the plow is laser cut, and everything is mounted prior to leaving the factory - so alignment is not an issue.

You dealer can either determine that there is something off (unlikely) - or they can better show you how to mount the plow. We've mounted these onto trucks sitting 1-1/2" out of level, on gravel, on dirt... This is not a common problem you're seeing..

Scott Moorman
    BPC / SnowDogg Plows

9. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

Thanks Ill stop out there and ask a few questions must just be me

10. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I'll do the same. When I got it, the dealer said to put the jack down so its just touching the ground, which i do, and the rest of the taking off process is not a problem. When i go to pull back into it, i can push on it all i want but the little hooks on the side never seem to be high enough to slide over the pins on the side, so i jack it up some more (which usually leads to the plow becoming unbalanced), then drive into it some more, get back out, and lower the jack so that the hooks will drop down onto the pins. usually I have to manually push the whole plow onto the vehicle because its way off balance from the jack being high enough. then i have to raise and lower the jack until i find the "sweet spot" where everything lines up and then it goes together no problems. Maybe i'm not doing something right.

11. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Here's a tip - a dealer told me this once. Put on your parking brake after you pull into the plow to prevent rollback. There are a lot of variables affecting this rollback (grade, vehicle, etc.) - so this could explain why some people have a lot of trouble, and most have very little. The jack was intended to eliminate the issue of the truck springing up - but it doesn't help with the rollback.

Ease of mounting is a big deal for us, and we continue to look at improving it on our products.

Regards,
    Scott Moorman

12. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

yeah, i use the parking brake trick, I'm starting to think that maybe after driving around for a while without the plow, the suspension on the vehicle "settles" without all that weight on there, and when i go to put the plow back on, its not lined up as it was when I took it off and its just something I'll have to deal with.

13. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

ok ill go for that

14. frozenokiewi

frozenokiewi Junior Member

Better than a unimout!

I have not had any problems once I got used to it. i am really impressed with how easy this is to mount. Coming from a western Unimount anything has to be better. Having a MD75 it not too hard to man-hangle the thing if I need to.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009