1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rant/spreader problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by srl28, Dec 14, 2010.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

So last night my area of NJ got a good dusting so I head out early am to salt some lots. We have a Saltdogg under tailgate spreader on a mason dump. Electric drive. Problem is the darn things been clogging up super easy! We dont have a location where we can easily load our own bulk salt so we have been picking it up at a local supply yard and keeping it tarped as best as we can in the back of the mason dump until its needed. So that said, what can we do to keep it from jamming up? I think my problem today was that the rocksalt we had left over had some decent chunks in it but still

Ive heard of pouring some windshield washer fluid over it, spiking our bulk with some CMA or calcium, all to keep it from locking up and keep it flowing nicely. Any input is much appreciated. Unfortunately our shop situation currently doesnt allow us to load salt as we need it so we are stuck with leaving it in the truck.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a tailgate spreader so it's not made to spread bulk, only bagged. Bulk is finer; that's why it's getting clogged. And if it gets wet just a little, it wnt spread it either
    If you put a vibrator on it though, you might be able to spread it.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

He has an under tailgate - like alot of dpw trucks do...wish i could give you some advice but i really don't have anything to suggest as i'm in the same position and keep salt tarped in my vbox

4. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Yes it is an undertailgate spreader, runs the width of the talgate.

Thought about the vibrator too

5. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

The only real solution is not leaving it in the box. Since that's not an option, I don't know what to tell ya. Are you at least able to park inside? If you can park it in a heated shop that helps, but still only good for a few days.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a vibrator will only help move material to the spreader it will not do a thing for the clumping.

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Spray it with 6 gallons per ton of liquid calcium chloride, and it will play nice and leave the truck. Won't freeze, won't solidify, won't clump up. On the down side, the calcium chloride will not play nice with the truck bed.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A good reason to coat the bed good with fluid film before filling with material.

9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have just started using fluid film on the connector/fittings on my sprayer to try to keep the corrosion / rust away. So I don't have many results to fall back on yet But hoping it will work, if it does I'm going to dip my equipment. :laughing:

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You moved to Indiana from Missouri (the show me state?) Many people have and do swear by FF for corrsion resistance and lubercation. Don't wait dip now, or better yet get a spray gun and a couple gallons and go to town.

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Will,

Try some magic treated salt. It will help. Though if your supply yard isn't selling magic it might be tough.

Ed