1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ranger-What to use.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProEnterprises, Feb 3, 2004.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

Sooner than later-I will begin to purchase my first vehicle. Im not sure if I will be getting a ranger or a 150. I wanted a 150 but it may end up being a ranger, for gas milage purposes.

Heres my question. I am not sure if I should go with a SnoWay Predator or a Fisher Homesteader. The only reason I am hesitant with the SnoWay is that my dads company has a ranger with a snoway-its very small-already punched out the fiberglass once and burned out 2 motors.

I guess im just a little hesitant-however, they are light and will be easy on my front end-which would you suggest.

Thanks so much!

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

If you get the ranger with the 4.0 v-6 the difference is mileage compared to a full size truck is only 1-2 mpg if that. I would go with a full size truck unless you need something very maneuverable like a ranger. :D :D

3. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

thanks buddy...ill consider that.

4. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Ain't nuthin wrong with a Sno-Way if you treat it like a sno-plow and not a bull dozer, same with any plow really. You also might want to look into the Western Surbanite plow, like the fisher, only better in my opinion. :waving:

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

ranger can handle a 2 meter meyers plow 6.5 or a western 6.6

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say F-150 if possible if not try to get a plow like the fisher LD series. The LD is 6'9" but iam not sure about the weight. The LD's are supposedly hard to find now but a few people on this site got them recently. The ld would hold up better than a homesteader or suburbanite. The snoway is not a bad idea either but if you have had problems with the same truck and setup i would think of something different if possible. I have heard of many people with burnt out motors and shattered lexan moldboards too:( I think snoway plows are good plows but people seem to have their fair share of problems with them. I don't know how the plows were treated though and i have no experience with snoway.

7. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

like Chris said i would go with the 6'9" Ld Fisher i Have one and love it. its on a s-10 Zr2 it weights about 550lbs complete

Mark

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Hey Bolts, this is for you! What about a Blizzard. I don't think you can get a Fisher LD for that application unless you go for the F150!

9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes Blizzard makes a 6'8" for a Ranger. Nice little plow. Weighs 350 lbs. Sold two this year and have not heard from them since. Must be two more happy customers.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

curtis makes a light duty plow

11. DERANGER

DERANGER Junior Member

I HAVE A 7FT BLIZZARD ON MY 03 RANGER 4.0 SUPERCAB. LOVE IT PLOWS LIKE DREAM, AND IT IS AGILE. COST ABOUT 3000. AS FOR THE OTHER PLOWS YOU LISTED. ONCE YOU LOOK AT THEM YOU WILL NEVER BUY ONE. CHEAP,CHEAP,CHEAP!! PLASTIC EVERTHING AND RUBBER BANDS FOR TRIP SPRINGS? COME ON!!!!THE FISHER AND THE WESTERN LOOK LIKE AN ATV PLOW. THE SNOW WAY MOLDBOARD HEIGHT IS LIKE 14IN OR SO. WONT HOLD MUCH SNOW. I SPEAK FROM EXPIRENCE GO BLIZZARD OR YOU'LL REGRET IT.

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The blizzard also sounds REALLY nice. anyone know the moldboard height for the 6'8"?

13. I have a sno-way on my ranger and it works great. I plowed a street with 6-8'' of snow and it had no problem. I went with the sno-way mainly because of the weight and I got a super great deal on it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  14. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

go snoway or which ever nearest dealer to you, who will service your plow when something breaks or gets loose, i have an mt80 (6'8" on my 97 ranger)it is great, but can never compare it to full size trucks with heavy duty plows, just treat it right, check mine out on the ranger
    http://plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=19196&page=3&pp=5

15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Go with a Western...