1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ranger or s10

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lockman, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Lockman

Lockman Junior Member

Don't mean to start a brand war I did a search and it seems both vechicles have fans on this site. Lots of great info.Iwork at A inner city university in st paul .we have about 6 miles of sidewalks and 6 large lots and a few smaller lots . looking for a truck to help with sidewalks and help clean up the lots.We have hundreds of cars that never move in the lots what a mess.this truck would be used in summer as a parts runner junk hauler etc. Boss likes the snow way with downpressure. help me spec this truck out if youwould . think bare bones but willing to pay to make it as strong as possible.Any ideas on prices? Hate to call a dealer before we budget for the truck .thanks guys.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Being a Ford guy I would of course say a Ranger right? Wrong. I would actually say go with the s-10 as I think it is a stronger small truck.

You did not suggest it but if it was my choice I would want the Toyota Tacoma over either the Foed or Chevy. I think the Tacoma is stronger than both.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Go with the S10 .The S10 has the better front end,engine,tranny,frame.The ranger has a beefier rear enf,but everythign else is not as tough as the S10.Next time you see one,take a peek under it,you can see immediately the S10 has a much bigger frame.I have been plowing with s10's for 5 yrs now,they have never let me down in a storm,ever.They also push snow very good for their size.The 4.3 liter V6 is a stronger engine(low end,and durabitily) than the 4.0 Ranger.If the Toyota wasnt an import id consider it too,over the Ranger.

4. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I too and a Ford man. But I would go with a Toyota Tacoma V6 with auto tranny. The guy that I plow the commercials for has one it is an awsome plower. It has a 7' Western blade on it and handles it no problem. And in the summer the blade gets taken off and one of those wallrus style brooms is used bor spring cleanups.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My Toyota is not a Tacoma but is definately a workhorse. I have done nothing to modify it except for beefing the rear suspension (to hold a small v-box) The front end is stock, 15 years old and solid. Truck is only a 4 banger but pushes a 7ft plow and carries a yard of material no problem.

6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I'll use the same ploy here. I'm a Chevy man, but I would go with the Ranger.

S10 did have a better front suspension when Rangers had the TTB. But now Rangers have IFS with coil springs vs. S10s IFS with torsion bars.
    Rangers 4.0 has a bit more horsepower than the s10 4.3.
    Ranger has only 12 less ft. lbs of torque at a 200 RPM difference from the s10, which probably wouldn't make much of a difference since the Ranger has a 5 speed auto vs S10s 4 speed auto. So the Rangers 4.0 will be in the optimum power range more than the S10.
    The 4.0 is also an overhead cam engine which is a more durable valvetrain.

I have '94 Ranger with the 4.0 and 5 speed auto with 210,000 miles on it. It still runs like a champ and no major rebuilds on the engine or tranny.
    It also has antilock brakes that stop on a dime every time. :)

7. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

RANGER OR S-10?

I would skip those trucks and buy 2 jeeps, CJ-5, Wrangler types, up to about 1995, so they both have leaf springs up front. Preferably a 6 cylinger, manual trans only. Then I would equip 'em with a 6.5' foot western power angle plow hooked up to a Monarch HY-Lo lift system, with a BELT DRIVEN pump motor. I would also buy each truck a set of 4, v-bar reinforced chains with spreaders, for those heavy days. I would save the rest of the money and use it for a party because you will have your walks done faster and better than with any other truck combination. If it is manuverability you want, this is the winning combination.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Not that I would ever diagree with DaveK , but up till 01 the rangers had IFS with Torsion bars. They also have a 5 sp auto that is very week. We blew ours out at 38K, reverse went in it. Other than that the truck has been great. I would comment tho that if given the choice, the Toyota would be tops. Skip the tire chains tho, as I am sure the boss doesnt want to gouge up the walks.
    Dino

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

While the Jeep makes a good plow vehicle, we use my brothers for small areas, walks and drive thrus, its overall effectiveness is not as great. In the summer he uses it for trips to the lake and the like. It is not a summer work vehicle. Having a small truck like a Toyota, Chevy or Ford will allow other uses in the summer. This could include hauling parts and junk, lawn equipment or other cargo. In the summer my Toyota is often used buy one guy who does shrub prunning or small mowing jobs and other odd jobs. This is what the boss will likely want to hear. Not that you can go cruising to the beach in it.

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

While the Jeep makes a good plow vehicle, we use my brothers for small areas, walks and drive thrus, its overall effectiveness is not as great. In the summer he uses it for trips to the lake and the like. It is not a summer work vehicle. Having a small truck like a Toyota, Chevy or Ford will allow other uses in the summer. This could include hauling parts and junk, lawn equipment or other cargo. In the summer my Toyota is often used buy one guy who does shrub prunning or small mowing jobs and other odd jobs. This is what the boss will likely want to hear. Not that you can go cruising to the beach in it.

Since you wanted specs.
    I would go Toyota Tacoma reg cab 4x4 4cyl 5spd.
    The 4cyl will make plenty of power to push snow. If ok'd the 5spd will be easier then overworking an auto IMO. Get it without the options and the price will stay low. In the long run the truck has the durability to outlast most other brands.

For a Plow I would go Fisher because that is the brand I like. I know Western, Snoway and Meyer also make plows and for the most part you will be ok with any brand. Go with a brand that has a local dealer.

11. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Just go online to all the manufacturers and do the build/price thing and you can get exactly what you wanted and the numbers to go with it. It couldn't get any easier nowadays with the websites the auto makers have. This way you get a number but it will most likely end up less because they give you sticker, and we all know that you don't pay sticker at a dealer.

12. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

hey hey hey,

First off, the jeeps are a good idea. But how about this, get yourself a john deere Gator 6x4 with the diesel and the 72 in front blade, this thing could plow snow till the cows come home and it can tow 1600 lbs, more than a grounds crew would need to tow. Just an idea, I have used a gator first had and they are bad A$$. Just another idea, www.johndeere.com will allow you to price one out just as you want, then take the print out to a dealer and work out a deal. Just another idea.

Lenny

13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Dino, I don't know if you are referring to 2WD or 4WD. But my '94 4WD has coil springs and it is a TTB.

Ford Rangers came with a Dana 35 Twin Traction Beam (TTB) front suspension with coils up to 1998 (Dana 28 till '90).

1998 was the first year for a IFS suspension with torsion bars.
    And if '01 and up now have IFS suspension with coils, then they only had torsion bars for 2 years. I didn't know that they ever used them.

So we were both a little wrong. :) Although based on the number of years using a coil vs. torsion bars, you were more wrong than me. ;) :D

And the Ranger is the #1 Selling compact pick-up for the 14th year.

14. Lockman

Lockman Junior Member

Thanks for the great info. As you might have guessed im a locksmith not a landscaper but when it snows its all hands on deck .I seem to be the go to guy when it comes to equiptment. Love to spend someone elses money:) Fireman I agree toyota is tops in my book but rangers are built in st paul and chevy dealer is close by. We bought ourplow truck from them and they have a great service dept.Tommy we need a bed or would consider a jeep. ive got a cherokee and it really is tough. Chains might be alittle tough on 2 miles of pavers . Max I llke the gator idea We all use ind. golf carts to get around campus. We' have a jacobsen turf truck with a ranger 4cyl motor will pull a house. Demo'd a kawi mule this summer bigger bed than most mules we loved it. Randy thanks for the tip will check the mfrs sites. tonight.

15. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

First i was well aware of the TTB and coil springs. However I need to say that you are wrong about only 2 years with the IFS torsion bar system. If they started with model year 98 (which I know they did), and ended model year 2000( which I am sure they at least till then) then that is three years with that system. 98-99-00
    Just out of curiosity, how do they get the outer drive shaft through the coil on the new system.
    Dino

16. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Well Dino, I found out that '98 and up 4X4s have IFS with torsion bars. Yes, I was wrong. :eek:

I also found that they now have a fully boxed front frame that increases front torsional rigidity 370%. Woohoo, could that mean they are going to be putting a diesel back in them? The early Rangers had an optional diesel (4cyl) and even a turbo diesel from '88 - ??

17. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy Member

i haven't heard a mention of the dodge dakota, just curious