1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ranger Front Spindle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sefh, Jan 30, 2007.

1. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I know this is a plowsite forum and deals with 4x4 but I need your help. I have a 88 Ranger 2wd and need to know if a 92 Rangers 2wd front spindle is interchangeable? My dad owns the truck and 3 mnths ago the drivers side spindle busted in half (outer bearing siezed up) and just a week ago the passenger side did the same. Both bearing had plenty off grease (each time) and were only 3 mnths old. My brother has a 92 that is totaled but has good parts and I wanted to know if they would work, Please advise. Thanks

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They may not be the same Ford likes to make little subtle changes sometimes, Try going to the parts store and see if they have the same part number listed for each year truck.
    When you put it back together make sure you use the procedure in the repair manual to set the preload on the wheel bearings. Modern vehicles have procedures that are different for each application. You really need to replace the ball joints at the same time too.
    Try not to reuse the wheel bearings if they have a bunch of miles on them. The bearing races come with them press them in at the same time don't reuse the old ones. If you don't have a repair manual a bigger library will have them. They may have to pull them out of the basement,but they do have them. Use the copy machine and make copies or procedures if they let you.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's been a while but I think theirs a small difference between the 88 and the 92 spindle's.I know for a fact that they take the same wheel bearing's,caliper's,rotor's,lower ball joint's and tie rod's. BUT the upper ball joint's are different.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can even do the research on the internet.Search light truck parts.
    Bring up parts suppliers on the net and look up the parts for each on the same site.
    Write down the numbers for the parts for each yr Ranger and compare numbers.
    If it has the same part number for the spindle but different # for the ball joint the different ball joint in the spindle will work etc. Do the search on at least 2 sites so you know it's correct.