1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ranger 500

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by lagwagon, Jan 13, 2010.

1. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Wellllllll You could put a cab on it and have heat

3. Eddiej

Eddiej Member
    from UK

I have been thinking much the same over here in the UK.

We never have a significant amount of snow, or at least not where I am in the Southeast,but the poxy country grinds to halt when we do.
    I strongly beleive that there is a market potential over here for small scale clearing of office car parks, schools and domestic driveways.
    The problem with operating a full size snow clearing unit, is that the roads get snarled up as no one seems to be able to drive!!!
    This is where an ATV based unit would come in, but like you, I'm not sure whether to go for something like an Artic Cat, or something like this below.

[​IMG]

Its a hard choice, as a buggy type vehicle would the advantage in that I could also transport salt, snow blower and ancillary equipment on the load bed, but by using the above, I would loose the versatility of being able to negotiate around stuck vehicles etc.
    Buggies are quite a big thing within farming communities over here, and there is a very wide choice of models, although all of them are well over priced, and buying a used Land Rover would be a hell of alot cheaper!
    The Kawasaki buggy, has quite a neat trick, in that the rear load bed quickly converts into additional seating, which could open up other options for use when no one else can get about. Here is a short video clip of some of the buggies that we have for sale over here in the UK http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2009/11/27/118924/Buggy-Test-John-Deere.htm

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. hondarider94

hondarider94 Junior Member
    from Indiana

imo, the heavy it is, the better it is for plowing.. put a plow on that, and it will plow better than a atv because its heavier

5. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

6. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

yea i would go japan for sure, anything is better than the j/d units and cheaper

7. bdehus

bdehus Junior Member

I have a Polaris Ranger 700 XP with a 72 inch cycle country plow on it. This is my first year plowing with it and only use it on a 1700 foot and a 700 foot drive. It pushes snow great. You need to add weight in the bed because all of the extra weight up front. I was able to push 2 foot drifts and make a pile 6 foot tall. I priced a gator. Too expensive for what you get in my opinion.

8. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

Awesome, post some pictures!

9. paullinrt

paullinrt Junior Member

That Ranger 500 looks like it would plow great.

bdehus - Do you use a winch to raise the plow? Do you angle the blade manually? I'm thinking about that plow on my Ranger for a 1000 foot drive. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

10. bdehus

bdehus Junior Member

I use a mile marker 3000 lb. winch to raise the plow. I also manually angle the blade, which I don't find to burdensome. Both drives I do are gravel and have had no problems pushing snow. The build quality of the cycle country plow exceeded my expectations. It attaches to a 2 inch receiver mount on the front, and has an adapter between the mount and a plow blade. This configuration I found out is new for the 09-up models, which mine is an 09. This is nice, because I don't have to crawl under it to hook it up, although it does take some effort to line it up with the receiver and push it in. Also, I can raise it up very high in this configuration practically to the brush guard.

11. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

2004 Polaris Ranger with plow

Here is my '04 Ranger 500 with a custom 72" plow I made for it. Works well, manual angle and I raise and lower it with the winch. Much easier for me than a normal ATV IMO.

Good luck!

ranger0922 013.jpg

12. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Nice looking plow and machine!:D:D:D

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

There is a guy in my town that has a Ranger 500 with a cab, heater, and 6' Polaris plow. He plows his long driveway with it and it seams to work prety good.

14. bdehus

bdehus Junior Member

Here is a picture of my setup

photo.jpg

15. bdehus

bdehus Junior Member

and here is how the plow attaches

photo.jpg

16. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Looks like same as the swisher setup!!!:waving::waving:

17. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

18. bdehus

bdehus Junior Member

The Boss set-up would be overkill for what I need.