1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Random question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJDarknez, May 20, 2005.

1. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Hope this is the right forum. Didn't see one that covers electronic type stuff.

This is a question for all of you who have strobes / rotators / LED's on your trucks, which I imagine would be most of you.

I'm curious as to what you call your lighting systems. It doesn't matter what you use, whether it be a 5', fully decked out light bar or just a little strobe on the cab.

I have an idea for something, and I'm just trying to get a general idea of what I should call it.

Thanks guys!
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

what do you mean " Calling your system"
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm gonna call him George. I'm gonna love him, and hug him and squeeze him.... (Warber Bros cartoon reference for those not catching it)

You mean do we call it a "strobe", or a "light bar", or a "beacon", etc.?

If that is what you mean I want royalties for my nickname (which I havn't given yet) payup
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The name I call my warning light syestem (a set of rotators) is......
    drum roll..................BINKY......
    Used in a sentense....Hey, your binky is bright, why are you so dim? :jester:
  5. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

George............Binky........ :rolleyes:

Yeah, I mean, do you call them "warning lights", "beacons", "strobes" stuff like that.

Justme- yep, thats what I mean!
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

After 26 years on an Ambulance I call my strobe " Idiot Lighting!"
    They look at it like a Deer, OH here comes a truck lets freeze.
    Let's walk thru an area no one would expect a pedestrian at 03:00 in the morning! Who's the Idiot here?
  7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

flashing lights

Some people are saying the flashing lights CAUSE people to drive to the lights. They say strobes attract the drivers to drive into your car. Some police departments have made that statement to me. An officer that works for Norton said that he has found people drive to wards the flashing lights and he tries to keep a car between him and road.

I know from motorcycle riding where you look you drive. So if you look at strobes you will drive to wards them unless you make an effort to avoid.

I like idiot light.. or how about when you use your flashers.. they are "be back lights". When you park in no parking zone just turn on your be back lights.. telling every one you will be back.

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Blinky here been calling them that for 22 years
  9. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

To those that have the huge light bars, etc on their personal trucks,
    including the volunteer fire dept guys, and people that plow...

I call them EGO LIGHTS...

Christ...some of the volunteer fire guys and people plowing have more damn lights on their trucks then the fire trucks or DOT trucks have.

I've plowed for 20+ years, and all i've ever had is one warning light whether it be a single beacon or a single strobe.

There, been one of my peeves for a long time. Now it's off my chest, so flame away...I know it's coming.
  10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

...."gumball", though "warning lights" is probably more in the line of what you are looking for.