1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

random ice melt question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by psbeaman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

How do you guys charge for spreading ice melt? Mainly on steps and walks of an HOA, but for big storms in the parking lot. I need to include it in a bid although it may never get used. Maybe a per 1000 sqft price or per bag? Seems the bag rate is 3 lbs per 1000.
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The search button is your friend.......However,

All depends on the job, and how the customer wants it......Normally we include it in the cost of clearing the walks, for the parking lot you can charge per application, or per pound....theres no silver bullet answer. You need to know YOUR costs, not MY costs, Theres a big difference price wise if I have a guy with an atv mounted spreader going through 500 lbs on a site, or your guy maybe using a coffee can full.

As for your application rate you probably need to be more around 17lbs+ per 1000 ft2. for figuring.
  3. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

thanks. we really have no need for plowing or ice melt/rock salt. So I really don't have much idea what i'm talking about. I have a HOA bid who wants steps and walks scraped and salted. The bid sheet says ice melt and i know that's a more expensive than rock salt, but they may not know the difference. At the prediction of big storms the parking salted prior and plowed after.

I'm gonna plan on subbing the plowing out. I was just going to charge a per hour for scraping with a flat shovel ($30-40 per man hour) and then a flat per bag price for ice melt (maybe 2-3 times the cost).
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

They will know the difference between ice melt and rock salt. Give them what they ask for and charge accordingly. 2 to 3 time the cost is a good number, but down south in NC, I would think they would be higher, due to having to stock something that may or may not get used. Do some research on here, there are many answers to your questions.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

If I could rep you here I would, good post! Thumbs Up

Well, salt IS "Ice melt" and most "Ice melt" contains mostly rock salt, so you should really clarify what they want, whether that be a $4 bag of rock salt, or a $14 bag of calcium, etc, so you're not shooting in the dark.

Parking lots are usually priced per application around here. I usually figure on 1000lbs per acre to estimate parking lot salting, heavy ice storms you use more and the customer wins, other times I use less and I win, it all averages out in the end, but keep in mind, the dynamics of your area and mine are different.

Your labor rate may be a little low, especially considering your costs of taxes, workers comp, unemployment, etc, coupled with the fact you could end up shelling out $20+/hr to get decent help to show up when you need them.