1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Random Exhaust Question Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by xgiovannix12, Sep 4, 2013.

1. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys

SO i recently did a donut job on my 92 k1500.. I deleted the cat converter and added 4 ft of pipe and the muffler at the end.. I gotta admit It sounds nice but I would like to make it a little bit quieter. It still gives me the pop sound and a little HUM like my rear end is about to explode since its a straight run . I have no leaks in the exhaust its self.

I was wondering if adding 2 90s or 45 degree angles on the dual outputs of the muffler would make it quieter ??? From my idea the angle will restrict the straight run flow and make it a little quieter.. Maybe I just have a bad brain fart let me know what you think.

:mechanic:

2. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

Adding shallow bends alone probably won't do much. I would think that a couple of 90s might do a little bit, but probably not enough to justify the work it would take. I've replaced a few and done some welding on some, but I'm not an exhaust expert by any means, so just take it for what its worth (not much).

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you guys have emission & inspection up there? Curious as to how you get around the cat delete. I was thinking of doing that to my truck, only reason I'm asking.

4. xgiovannix12

Its an 92 any thing older then a 95 is just safety. ANY thing 96 + has to go thru emission testing.

5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Bends are not going to quite it down any. Pipe size can change the tone but not sound level. You need a bigger muffler or a resonator. A lot of the newer trucks use resonators with mufflers to quiet them down more.

6. xgiovannix12

Yea I kinda figured it wont do much . It was just a random brain fart.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

To the OP. Do you have any pics of your exhaust mods.

8. xgiovannix12

No I dont why ??

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Just want to see how you did it.

10. xgiovannix12

well its the ypipe then 4 ft of 3 inch pipe. Then the muffler Not much to take a picture of :D

11. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Could put the cat back in and change the muffler... Then you have the benefit of a cat and a million choices for sound.

12. xgiovannix12

I thought about it but got lazy... I dont mind the sound but it sure rattles the bed a little.