1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

random bottoming out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Seabee15, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

Ok this may be a odd question but I'm a light commercial plow operator and been plowing for years with various trucks and plows . I'm currently running a 06 2500HD crew cab standard bed with a 7.5 western ultra mount . Randomly my truck will bottom out on driveways with storm gutters when it has before, even when I go extremely slow. I would go through many storms without bottoming out then all of a sudden it will. I made sure there wasn't any snow or ice built up under the plow or the truck that would weight it down. Maybe it's the temperature effecting the suspension but slightly unlikely . It has only happened a few times and once it fixed itself within a day. Any ideas?
  2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

its probably your plow receivers, since its a chevy im assuming the front end is nose diving a little bit with the plow on if you havent done anything to the suspension? you could look into turning the torsion bars slightly and or timbrens
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

If it was the normal Chevy nosedive, it would happen all the time. Approach angle? Angle of the plow? Plow down or up?
  4. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

put 300 to 500 pounds of counterweight behind your rear axles, to hold up your front end

it will help -

though a torsion bar crank may also be needed (along with a new alignment)

or just live wit it
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need to go in at an angle so one side is higher then the other,same when backbraging.
  6. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

give the torsion bars a few turns alignment will not be needed and your year of gm truck the geometry is not affected by this i have 2 friends with 2004 and 2005 3500hd setups they did 3-5 turns and made a difference