1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rancho 4" and my plow. quick question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by woofy315, Dec 7, 2008.

1. woofy315

woofy315 Junior Member
    from iowa

so,im pretty much **** outta luck when it comes to the front of my truck and plow almost touching the ground when mounted,ive looked and many diffrent options and none seem to fully work out, so my question is, with my western ultramount if i do a 4inch rancho lift on my 2002 silverado z71 will i still have good pushing ability? or will the angle be bad

thanks in advance

edit
    turns out the 4inch rancho turns into a 6 ,so my next option is the skyjacker 3inch....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

you would probably have to fab up the mount or the plow side. Why not just crank your T-bars and add timbrens?

3. woofy315

woofy315 Junior Member
    from iowa

t-bars have been cranked,to no avail.....its honestly the same with the plow on now as it was befor they got cranked,i cant imagiine timbrens would help much, why do you mean by plow side?

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to fab up some drop brackets for your ultra mount. 4" and a couple for tires shouldn't be hard to correct. 6" drop brackets or so and you should be back in buisness.

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I mean cut and reweld where the plow hooks into your truckside mount. Not overly sure if it can be done on a ultra, but like mark said, some truck side drop brackets and some bigger tires would help alot. Plus timbrens would help with the sag when the plow is lifted.

6. woofy315

woofy315 Junior Member
    from iowa

sounds good,i know some welders :). thanks guys

edit. theres no one that makes drop brackets for sale is there?

7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

If your intent is to correct the front-end sag when loaded down with a stupid-heavy plow, a suspension lift is the wrong way to do it. You will be much better off with Timbrens and a set of torsion bars from a 2500 truck. You won't believe how much difference just the Timbrens will make (takes 30 minutes to install if you stop for a beer), and if you grab a couple of 2500 torsion bars from a junkyard you can install em yourself in about an hour. Chevy was really kind to us when they decided to make all the bars for 1500 - 3500 interchangeable!

This will allow you to keep your stock ride height and carry the plow without excessive nose dive.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

If you are going to put a 4" lift on your truck, you shouldnt have to do squat to adjust it. My buddy has a 4" lift on his F250 SD and did not have to do any fab work to his ultramount. Just make sure the chains are adjusted right and you may have to raise the little feet up it sits on. But there was no cutting or welding involved, and his a-frame sits just fine too

9. woofy315

woofy315 Junior Member
    from iowa

^ thanks man,and im acctualy going with the 3inch skyjacker

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

If I was you I would just swap in a set of heavier rated torsion bars.

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

But the others are right as well, a good set of 2500 Tbars will help ALOT!!!! And run some ballast against that tailgate too. You would be surprised how much more of a tank your truck could be with 3-500 lbs back there!!!!! I didnt buy into the whole ballast thing until this year. I run about 600lbs or so on average, and havent used my 4x4 once yet to push, even when it is a little slick.

12. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

If you got to weld any thing do it on the plow side. The mount will not hang below your truck and depending on the plow if things change all you will need is a new a-frame.

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if doing the lift dont forget you REUSE your old bars.

get a set of high gvw rated tbars from a 2500 or 3500 truck and swap them at the same time.

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

And try to get bars from a truck that is plow prep equipped. They will be that much stronger. I think B&B said I have the 8615 bars on my truck, which is more than enough to handle a good plow. And it is just a regular 2500

15. woofy315

woofy315 Junior Member
    from iowa

all helpful,thanks alot guys

16. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I don't know how the western mount attaches but in my case I have a 01 2500HD with a 4" rancho lift and the crossmember for the lift kit runs directly below the truck crossmember where I needed to attach my Hiniker mount so that took some fabbing to get to work. So beware of that.