1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram's for plowing?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CGM Inc., Dec 15, 2008.

1. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

All I see out here is GM and FORD.
    Any concerns with Ram's for plowing?
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

That kinda Depends where you live. Dodge by far plows the best. Chevys ride to low. So if the snow is high you might have issues. My Buddy has a new ford he plows with. it has to be the hardest riding truck I have ever been in.
  3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

All 3 have their own problems. There isnt one thats better than the other.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

no problems with mine.
  5. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

only problem with mine is i did not buy a diesel!

RODHALL Senior Member

GM and ford sell more trucks....
    ford and GM work better for a contrator Superdutys and GM cheap replacement parts

one of the two is the reason you see more fords and GMs plowing
  7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I am on my third Dodge. I also use the Cummins as I lovwe the power. I have an 05 Quad cab short bed, love the truck rides smooth, plows great. I have had to change the ball joints and this past fall a new trans all under warranty. If it wasn for the extended warranty, not sure what I would do. I just prefer the looks and ride in the Dodge.
  8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I hear you! I have a HEMI in my Durango and love it but look for a 2500 RAM with a 6.7.
    You can almost buy 2 HEMI's for one diesel:dizzy:
    February or March I will look again at any 2008's left on the lot's.
  9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

05 Ram Quad CTD short bed, Snoway 29 and a Truckcraft dumpbed with tailgate spreader......love that truck
  10. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

my diesel is awesome for plowing, but they all have their faults. dodges have front end problems, chevys sit too low, and fords generally ride like tanks. But I would say it would be any one persons personal preference, whether it be comfort, looks or durability
  11. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

What was said above about Ford's harsh ride, One thing IMO that Dodge and Ford have going over GM is the solid front axle. Alot more durable, and less moving parts than the IFS.
  12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i have had a plow on every dodge i have had and no complaints here. seems like the best truck out there. you get a solid front axle, legendary cummins mated to a reliable transmission and your plowing in style :cool:
  13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge Cummins combo rules.
  14. bcf

bcf Senior Member

No problems with mine that wer brand related. I just happened to buy my truck right about the same time in it's life it likes new parts consantly. But they all go through it(kinda like puberty or baby teeth).
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ford and GM sell more trucks, but Dodge has more trucks still on the road.... Remember the old ad campaign- the longest running truck?
    It would seem more Dodge owners keep their truck longer than Ford or GM.
    I'd wager if you put a real diesel engine in either the Ford or the GM, you'd has as many or more front end problems as the Dodges- remember the Cummins out weighs the others by significant amounts and that has a lot to do with front end durability.
  16. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

Been plowing with my truck since new and no problems!
  17. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If your paid by the hour then DONT buy a Dodge. They plow way to fast payup
  18. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

It is true though. I have not met a pile I could not push.

And for all you haters out there, I am not talking about the huge piles in the corner of a lot pushed up by a loader. I'm talking about snowfall on a lot.
  19. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

True even on the 5.7 hemi, I'm often amazed at how it pushes around that behemoth of a truck without breaking a sweat. That thing makes a staggering amount of torque for what it is (e.g. a gasoline engine).
  20. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey cedar look at all those Chevys and Fords. How many have a Big Ass sticker on the side of them with the word sno on the side of them. Dodge knows its the best at plowing and Offers the Sno chief package and back in the day it was the Snow Commander. Small tires, rubber mats and a 318 that was geared low and could push a mountain. I just loved my old 87. It had faded red paint. A red interior with a bench that would never fade. 8 foot speed caster plow and a AM/fm radio. No a/c no power windows. just great old truck with a dated body