1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ramps???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hob0918, Nov 2, 2006.

1. hob0918

hob0918 Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys, I am in need of a set of ramps. It looks like this year I am going to have a lot of sidewalks on my residential route. Need ramps to load and unload the snowblower out of the truck (GMC 2500). Looking for everybody's opinions.

Thanks

Ed

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would invest in some nice aluminum ramps. They are light weight but strong, and should have good traction. Making them out of 2x stock is probably not going to give you good traction.

3. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

the wooden ramps can be very slippery in icy conditions.....not sure about the aluminum ones...if you make wooden ones, try some of that slip resistant paint or something.:salute:

4. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Aluminum ramps are the way to go but make sure you get good ones I will try to get a picture for you they run about $175.00 to $100.00. they allmost look like a ladder get the longest ones you can get and make sure the tie up to the truck (safety first). You ever thought of one of those receiver hitch mounts with a wire mesh platform beefed up. that works well to. Any way thought I would put my two cents in.:cool:

5. victoryrider

victoryrider Junior Member

Go on ebay and search aluminum ramps. I picked up a set that fold in half and they are great. I use them to haul an ATV. Price was right around $100 delivered.

6. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I use foldable 8' aluminum ramps and carry a bucket of sand with me. Ford pickups are higher in the back imo. Most of the time it goes up fine, but sand is needed especially if your out before the storm is over. The longer the better.

7. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have a folding mesh ramp that replaces my tailgate. It is called a Buddy Ramp. I find it much safer and faster than a pair of aluminum ramps and it does not take up any space in the bed of your truck. The only downside is that it is a lot heavier than a stock tailgate.

8. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I bought a set of the ramp ends that go on 2x10 and bought some 2x10x8 to use as the ramps. They do get a little slick but I just put some sheet metal screws in them from traction have yet to not be able to get something into the bed in the worst of conditions.
    Evan

9. CMB55

CMB55 Junior Member

Ramps

I ran a snowblower Route for 5 years in Gaylord MI.[lots of snow and lots of cold]
    My advice would be to go with wood 2x10 and a metal tongue.
    The Aluminum will be a problem in sub zero temps,kind of a heat sink in reverse and
    picks up any humidity and forms ice. Even becoming "sticky" to handle with damp/wet mittens etc.
    Chuck

10. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

If you are gonna' run wood ramps, talk to a carpenter buddy and get some asphalt shingles. Nail them to the face of the ramp and no more slipping.

11. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

2''x10''x8' with some black tar on them...works real good