1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ramps For F-150 4x2

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by TommyMac, Dec 25, 2009.

1. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I sold the racecar now i'm getting a 4wheeler the question i have is whats a good reasonably priced set of ramps to put the wheeler in the back of my 2wd F-150 without killing myself

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

go on craigslist and find some nice used aluminum atv ramps.

3. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Do you happen to know what's a good length

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would look for something aluminum, preferably open mesh. Lightweight, good traction. Get the longest ones you can that will go in the bed with the tailgate up.

5. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

i have folding galvinized steel ramps that are arched, i belive there 6ft long and with the tall tires and rims on my quad, when there folded they just fit under the rear axle

6. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Thanks for the info....I was almost thinking of building my own....I have an 8' bed....What did your ramps cost

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Just buy a ramp kit and 2 2x10x8 boards. You can cut the boards to fit.

8. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

I bought 8' folding aluminum, open mesh, arched ramps with a 1500lb weight limit for a little over $100.00 including shipping from an Ebay dealer. Each one folds in half and slide under the quad. They came with tie down safety straps to be used when loading or unloading. Although i havent' had a problem with traction, i think the ladder rung type would provide even more non-slip traction.

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I paid $50 for 2 reese folding aluminum ramps. rated for 1500lbs. They are 2 seperate ramps and they fold and they are arched so they arent as steep. Here are some pics of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

Did you get those new or used? Either way, nice snag!!!

11. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

Got a question, do you side load your quad onto the trailer like that or is the pic just to show the ramps?

12. mud

mud Senior Member

The wood ones are dangerous and will break on you at some point. I found that out the hard way. Also the ones like eatmytailpipes posted can move around while you are loading the quad. Cost a buddy a knee surjury when one spit out from under him while loading his quad up in the back of his 94 chevy which had a bent up tail gate.

Best bet would be a set of 6 foot long aluminum bi fold or tri fold ramps. Plenty strong and sufficiently long for your half ton and will fold up and fit between the tires of the wheeler. I have have both, the tri folds are a bit wider making it easier to load and unload.

Always tie off your ramps when loading or unloading. It's worth the extra work. It only takes one time for those ramps to spit out and the quad to come over on you.

Expect to spend around a hundred to a hundred and fifty bucks for a good set of ramps.

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Before I sold the trailer yes I did side load them like that. Well side load one to the front and the other one pulled on the back. But now I have a 7x18 equipment trailer and can fit many quads. And since I got the ramps when I go riding with just one quad I put it in one of the trucks. Yes I bought them used off craigslist for $50.

14. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

actually they cant kick out because there are straps that go onto the hitch on your truck that hold them so they do not kick out. I used wooden ones a couple times never ever again lol.

15. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

I have the same type as Tailpipe but with the open mesh surface. I use camlock straps to keep them secured to the truck via the bumper as a safety measure. They came with the ramps. They cannot spit out when used in this manner. Only takes a few seconds to hook them up. I keep one end of the strap tied to the ramp so all i have to do is reach under the bumper with the hook end and pull them tight. They fold in half like Tailpipes and are 8' opened, 4' folded.

16. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy has the folding aluminum ramps and those are awesome. Seem pretty indestructible. I used to use a piece of plywood when we were searching for ramps, there comes a time when you slide off the plywood cause its wet and you sh*t your pants :laughing: So, I wouldnt recommend anything wood.

17. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Here are a couple pics of it loaded up in the f250. I couldnt shut the gate on my truck because of the toolbox. But the ramps as you can see fit nicely on the sides. And I use the straps for the ramps to strap it to something on the quad to prevent them from falling out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SuperdutyShane

Lj, your truck has to be the most seen truck on Plowsite.
    (Willingly, probably not.)

:laughing:

19. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

shane did i ever tell you. i dont like you lol jk

20. SuperdutyShane

Lol! I wouldnt mind seeing the truck if you would finally paint the thing! :laughing: