1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ramps for a box truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

What type of ramp would you build on a box truck for an ATV? I contacted Redi-Ramp, they weren't terribly helpful. I think "Ramps Ramps Ramps" bought the rights to Redi-Ramps. They're into selling, not servicing from what I can tell. Their attitude was... if you don't have a pick up, we don't want to sell it or be bothered with it.

http://www.ramps-ramps-ramps.com/pick-up-truck-loading-ramps.htm

I'm looking for a way to fabricate either a gate that would work, or mounts that would work on a gate like this one.

Any thoughts? Does anyone else have ramps for a box truck?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

When you say box truck do you mean a cube van ? How high is the back of the bed\box floor ?

ATV's with plows can be a real pain to get up a ramp and into a truck,as the plow kills the approach angle.You will need something fairly long,and make sure the plow will come up high enough to clear.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Just a thought, but what about a liftgate? Maybe a rail-type gate with a large platform?

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

The deck is approximately 38" to 40" off the ground. I bought the truck used and am therefore not as willing to spend mucho dinero setting up the truck. This is my first box truck and I'm experimenting with it for the sidewalk crew. I'm not sure if a liftgate would be the best option; (a) cost, (b) need to pull ATV out of truck onto lift gate without turning it onto lift. The lift would have to be larger than "normal". I'm not sure what size that platform would need to be, but at least 5.5' long so you could pull out onto it. The other issue with a lift gate is that there is only so much play with height it can travel.

What's a lift gate run? I shouldn't disqualify it before I know ball park.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd skip the liftgate idea.They get all siezed up in the winter,and are a pain to keep working smoothly.Would be awkward to load too.

I use the cube vans for side walks too.They are nice to keep all the stuff in.When I used to have my grizzly,we just loaded it on a small 5x7 andscape trailer.Forget about backing up though,you couldn't even see it behind you.

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

The whole reason for the box truck is to put the ATV inside the "garage" so it doesn't get splattered with road salt (like it did last year).

I'm thinking a metal fold down gate. I stopped at a fabricators shop yesterday, I'm waiting to hear back from him on his suggestions/ideas.

In the meantime if anyone has any pictures of how they've set up their trucks or if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

U-Haul vans have a loading ramp that slides into the space between the frame rails. It's wide enough to walk up with an armful of moving boxes. What about fabbing two ramps half that width--one for each tire? (It's just an idea. I don't have time to rent a U-Haul to see what the potential problems with that approach are.) :)