1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ramp grippage????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian's Lawn, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

i got wooden ramps to run the snowblower into the back of my truck and i can imagine that the wood will get really slick when it gets wet and a little bit of snow on it. what should i do so that the blower will still get some traction on the ramps?????

thanks
    -brian-

2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

The best think i have used for that so far, is roof shingles.

3. HoneyDooYrdWrk

HoneyDooYrdWrk Junior Member

just pick up a set of 8 foot aluminum ramps.the look like mini ladders, my blower crawls up them with no problem.

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Sell it on ebay and buy a toro ccr 2450.

problem solved.

Why any of you are still using those 2 stage machines is beyond me.

Unless you cant afford a new machine and this ones been around a while. Then I can see that.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

WHY!!:confused:

Because your single stage blower can not handle the Snow & Ice left from the city plow.
    for that you need a 2 stage, plus there good for a few Pounds of counterweight also..
    ----------------Way beyond you Buddy;)
    -------------------------------------------------------

I use the steel ramps and they get slick also.
    Do you have chains on the tires?

6. LLM Ann Arbor

The hell it cant troll.

And I can toss it in the truck in five seconds and be gone.

Id bet my house in a race against any two stage hand machine on the planet. Unless it was 36" wide. Beat them, and leave a cleaner surface.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You can buy those black no-slip strips for stairs and put on the wood. Or you could get some spray undercoating and spray them with that.

Don't pay any attention to the troll trying to debate the type of blower you have. The point is you want to work with what you have at this point and the problem at hand is slippage on wood ramps.

I agree the wood will get awful slippery and I would try what I suggested first before spending more money on steel ramps.

8. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

slipageeee!!

I would go to local sheetmetal dealer and get 2 strips of scrap expanded metal and put them on your planks.

9. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Old snowmobile tracks work great, cut and nail or screw down with cleats facing up. A local club or dealer usually gives torn or old ones for free.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Who is the TROLL here:rolleyes: :rolleyes: is

His answer(llm) had nothing to to with anything that was asked?
    then he goes on to slam someone for using a 2 stage.............

He is hard to ignore, Kind if like a little brother kicking the back of your chair....
    -----------------------------
    What if you used some bed liner and sprinkled some sand on them before it dried?

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I took 1" wood srews and slipped a 1/4" nut on them then screwed them in the ramps. I aranged them so like to be in rows spaced out about 6" apart. Works really well and cheap. I bought a bag of nuts and screws at Menards for like les than 5 bucks.

12. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I attached 1" x 1" oak strips about 6" apart all the way up the ramp, works great.

Joel B.

13. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

this sounds like a great idea and sounds like it wold work really good. i got shingles on hand and it sounds easy enough to do. i think i will try this. thanks

ive had this blower for a while and i wont be plowing, will be only blowing and this is powerful enough to cut throught the ice and snow buildup at the end of a driveway from a city plow.

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

home depot sells this no slip paint additive in the paint section for around $6, dump the container of that in a gallon of outdoor paint, and it works GREAT!!!

WOW, i have the container right here.... called

Rust-Oleum
    Anti-Slip (in white letters)
    Floor Coating Additive

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Go to the lumber yard and pick up a couple feet of corner molding and some small brads. Cut the molding to lenght and nail it on the planks about a foot apart. They will give plenty of traction for the blower and you. Used a set like that for my ATV for 3 or 4 years, worked like a champ and they never pulled off.

That is rediculous! I would like to see you clear the deck I have to clear when it gets deep with the ease you are preaching. When this 1200 sq ft deck has 3 feet of snow on it, what is your little machine going to do? And like SF said, it adds some weight to the back so you wouldn't ned 750 pounds of sand back there.

16. LLM Ann Arbor

Whatever. We havent had three feet of snow in michigan in two years combined, and if you want to carry ramps and a two stage thats fine. I prefer to carry a Toro.

I havent seen anyone...contractor or Homeowner use a two stage around here since the seventies...before the single stage machines came out.

Oh and be careful loading that thing up the ramps. You fall off there and you wont be plowing for weeks. Or maybe ever again.

17. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

Picture of the wooden ramps please?

Good idea guys, does anyone have a picture they could link? Curious on size of wood plank .... I am thinking 2" X 8" X 6' 2 of them pressure treated with 1" X 1" strips each 6". How do you have it so they don't slip off the gate?

Also is that a Toro Snow Commander he is talking about (the one stage?)

Thanks,

Tom

18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

B.S. Your telling me that in Michigan, you don't see any 2 stage snowblowers? The majority of blowers used here are 2 stage. You might not see 3 feet of snow but you sure as hell get 3 foot snow drifts. Stop ruining every thread with you B.S. trolling.

Where is that damn B.S. flag when you need it.

19. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I use 2 2x8x8 planks. My Dodge sits pretty high and a 6' lenght is just too steep, so I went with the 8'. Mine are not pressured treated and the ones I had for my ATV were not either. I don't think you will need to pay the extra for them. Most of the moisture will be frozen and not soak the wood anyway. I also have the 6' bed on my truck and the planks just stick out a little.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  20. LLM Ann Arbor

Sorry. Ill post when I feel like it kiddo and yes. I said it so thats what I am telling you. I dont see anyone using a two stage around here anymore.

They are heavy, cumbersome, slow and dont do as good a job as a Toro CCR or any of the other single stage commercial grade machines.

That being said. I agree with the spaced 1x1's...good idea, but again. Be careful loading these things guys.

You dont want to fall off and have that machine coming down on you, or hurting your backs.

Ive loaded enough aerators in the back of trucks in good weather to know I dont like doing it let alone doing it on icy slick boards at 3 in the morning.