1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram W150 Work Continues. Need Some Help!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Jul 2, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

OK, so I am finally working on my '87 W150 short bed. I have dropped the tank and I need to install a new fuel sending unit. There should be two tabs on the ring around the top of the sending unit, but one has broken off. I have tried for a while and I just can not get that sending unit out from the tank. Anybody have any suggestions? Also, how hard is it to replace a power steering pump and will it stop the whine when truck runs and turns? It leaks a little fluid but whines pretty good. Not a high squeal, but it is noticeable to me. Finally, does anyone have any experience with urethane bushings to correct steering slop? Theses trucks have terrible steering slop. Any other ideas for this out there?
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I am about to be in the same boat as you. I have never wokred on these trucks before, so I am sorry I cant help you on your problems. The truck I am getting just got a new power steering pump, because it whined and turned poorly. Where are the bushings for the steering you mentioned? These are leaf spring front ends, so I am curious where bushings would be placed. My guess would be tie rod ends and ball joints for steering slop. Oh ya, I am getting an '88 150 4x4.

RODHALL Senior Member

Fuel injected tank- Remove plastic lock nut pull pump and sending unit out. If the nut is an issue call your local dealer they should still be able to get them, they are the same ones used on the 94-01 tanks as well as most jeeps and Dakotas. (Last one I had to get was $20 or so)

Carb tanks – Remove 8 –10 Phillips headed screws pull sending unit up out.

PS pump whine is not hard to fix. You can use any rear wheel drive MOPAR car or truck will have the Saginaw pump as well as a lot of Chevy Cars and trucks. GM have different bracket but the pump is the same.

Steering slop is not going to be fixed with urethane bushings. Grab the steering shaft where it goes into the box, and shake it around ( if it moves) then it is the issue replace with Mopar parts Steering coupler is like $70 –90 depending on dealer. Or replace with a boregson of flaming river sterring shaft $200 -$400
    If you use the mopar parts plan on redoing it every few years

(this is a very poor design it is a cup with 2 shoes and clip that keeps tension on the shoes Water dirt oil get down in there and tear up the shoes no matter how full of grease you pack the cup)
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

RodHall: Thnaks for all the info!
    Bansky: Congrats on your truck. I had heard the urethane bushing helped to reduce steering slop, but that was all that I know. RodHall seems to have a better idea of what to do. Good luck with your truck. I have had a ton of small problems, but it is a 20 year old truck. Luckily there is very little rust. Just a pain to loosen some bolts and so on.

RODHALL Senior Member