1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram Tuner???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BigJoeC, Dec 28, 2011.

1. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Member

So I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 HEMI (OH YA):nod: quadcab w/ a 8ft bed and factory 20"s. I already have a wide open exhaust (straight pipe, no mufflers, just cats) and a K&N cold air intake. My question is what do you guys think the best performance programer/chip is for the bank for my buck!

2. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

Don't wast your money. Tuning a stock naturally aspirated gas engine isn't going to yield much in the way of HP/tq. gains unless you have internal engine work done. They do make "power programmers" for gas engines, but like I said....save your money. Most of the time when you hear of guys "tuning" their trucks, they either own a turbo diesel, which is VERY tunable, or a gas powered truck with some sort of aftermarket forced induction setup like a supercharger, turbo or some N2O setups.

3. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Member

Ok thanks very much for the info!

4. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Oh one other thing. Those 20's will be useless for plowing

5. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

With all due respect, your wrong about the gains.

To BigJoeC:

1st, go to Dodgetalk.com and sign up.

2nd, get a Superchips 3865 and enjoy to added performance on the 93 tune, better MPG, and a transmission that works the way it should have from the factory!

I had a Super chips on my 04' 1500 QCSB 4x4 and it made a HUGE difference!

The superchips does not make that much of a difference on my PowerWagon though due to the Stick, I have since traded my Superchips for a Diablo (Don't get the Diablo, get the Superchips for the Auto Trans features)

6. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

With the stock Crapyear HP's yes, with a good set A/T's it will be just fine.

7. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Member

Thanks guys. MrPlow..I dont plow with this truck. I have a 01 2500 2 dr 4x4 6ft bed with a 5.9 that I plow with. Brute, great info, thanks!

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I always start a tech tread by saying I am not an expert, which I am by no means not.

First thing I would do is toss a nice muffler back on as I doubt the cat is creating enough back preasure. I also have a friend who did a programmer and intake on his 05 Hemi QCSB 4x4. He used the Hypertech I believe and claims all the stuff he did was a waste of time and money. Gains were little and now he has to run 91 octane.

I should add that I am taking my intake and exhaust off my truck just because it doesnt do anything other than make noise. I suppose the exhuast lowers the EGT's when pulling a grade but it isn't worth it to me since the truck rarely pulls anything more than a 27' boat or small 24' camper.

Just my .02

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

BigJoes issue is after he did put on the open exhaust. He lost low end power and gained top end. This works ok in a lighter car not a truck weighing 5k. So now he is looking for tuners to help him with lost low end power. Put on a muffleer

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  10. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Member

Hummm....Cherry Bomb Glasspack!!!!

11. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

If all you want is noise....Flowmaster (they don't flow for **** though)

I am happy with my Magnaflow, Dynomax was good to me too.