1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram tranny question....

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bartlc, Dec 6, 2004.

1. bartlc

bartlc Junior Member

Today I test drove a 98 Ram 2500, auto w/ diesel. When I got around 40- 45 mph, the tranny shifted back and forth into overdrive. I was steady on the accelerator and the rpm gauge was going up and down (just slightly not allot). So I stepped 'er down and it stopped. When I got back to the dealer, I told him the tranny is toast. He said he did notice the problem I desecrated and that he told his mechanic and he said all Rams do that w/ auto/ diesel. A buddy said it might have a tow chip in it that causes this function to happen. Are there any Ram owners that can attest to this? I am expanding a small lawn care business and will be pulling a JD 485 tractor and some mowing tools. Thanks.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You were in the "undecided" range of that tranny and axle ratio combo. When in that range it can hunt between gears as you experianced. The only "cure" is to go faster or slower or if you must operate at that speed manual disable OD to stop the hunting. There is nothing wrong with truck.

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 96 ram v10 and it does the same thing, even between 2nd and 3rd. A lot of times in traffic i find myself putting it into second so i dont blow out the trans from the constant shifting..Have been doing it for a long time , and the trans still works just fine. just cant seem to make up its mind sometimes.

4. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Im not sure if yours has an APPS sensor. On mine I had to run a new power wire and a new ground. Basically the trans is thinking the accelerator is moving all over the place and it cant tell when it is suppost to lock up the torque converter. And no this is not suppost to happen there is a TSB on it.

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

What is that sensor and where is it. i would love to get rid of this problem. my truck does have 152,000 miles on it now , but it still runs/drives great..other than the confused trans.

6. Craftybigdog

I dont know where it is on a gas, check the manual(like haynes) it should tell you!

7. Craftybigdog

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

(apps sensor) also known as a throttle positition sensor on gas motors, which would make it on the throttle body. gotta love all the info you can get in a few seconds on the net. . thanks for the help..

9. bartlc

bartlc Junior Member

Thanks guys, maybe I will really consider buying it. It looks and runs great other than that.

bartlc

10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Do not giver the hunting another thought. They all do it at some speed or another under light load.

11. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Mine Dose it. I think the best cure without buying any new hardware is click off the over drive when you know you are going to be driving around 42-47mph because those are usually the speeds that it hunts. I live with it, had my tranny totally replaced and the new one dose the same thing as the original one. They all do it! The Cummings is so powerful the tranny can't keep up!

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

ALWAYA drive with the overdrive off unless you are on the highway- the transmission has a simple spring to engage the overdrive and it is very expensive to replace the OD unit. The low RPM of the diesel engines means this tranny (which is not meant for such low RPM) is running low pressures and can;t shift into OD forcefully enough to prevent it from slipping.

What you discovered was very normal 'hunting" because you were at the shift point- if it only happened at that point there should be no relation to any TPS type sensors- to make sure drive it again with OD off and look for the same problem- no problem means no sensor trouble and normal operation.

Now you could try useing the issue as a barginning chip in a better price with the dealer if he doesn't know about these....