1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram suspension options?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bighornjd, Sep 1, 2010.

1. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Well, we just bought a new personal truck which I traded my old plow truck for. (new one is a 07 QC LB 4x4 3500 Cummins 6.7 for the inquiring minds). So it looks like the 06 Cummins is the new work/plow truck (its an 06 QC LB 4x4 2500 5.9 Cummins).

I think I just about have my heart set on the VX95 Snowdogg. I was going to stick with the 8.5 but with only 100 dollars and 50 pounds difference, I'd rather have the wider plow to help with running over my windrows on curves with such a long truck. And i know the Cummins will push it fine.:cool:

I'm thinking of adding timbrens in the front and air bags in the rear. My question is i already have a 3" skyjacker lift which consists of 3" taller springs in front and an add-a-leaf in the back for about 1.5-2 inches (not quite level but closer than stock). From what I can tell the bags in the back should work fine but I'm wondering if the timbrens will even do anything with the longer springs in front? Is there a spacer or something for lifted trucks for the timbrens? I don't think I will have enough sag for clearance issues, just looking for something extra to hold the 1000lbs worth of plow hanging on the front. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Looking for thoughts on the VX plows as well especially on a cummins...
  2. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

how bout putting in air assist all around? stiff ride but it wouldn't sag.
  3. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Thge only air setup for the front of a 2500 ram is the air shocks from ride-rite that i have found. They are twice the cost of timbrens and have less capacity. Plus I am still left with the issue of the longer springs - I dont see an option on the air shocks for an increased length? If they do i might consider it but haven't heard much in the way of feedback on them. I think timbrens would work fine for my application, just trying to figure out how they would work with the lift without finding out the hard way. I guess worst case would be fabbing my own spacer. Wondering if anyone else has actually done it and if it works OK? Thanks.
  4. C’s Services

C’s Services Junior Member
    from Alaska

Ram Suspension

The best way is to replace the coil springs with some that are same overall length, but that have a 600lb heavier spring rate. or have a machine shop make custom spacers for the timbrens.