1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram QC 1500 Fisher HT or SD Plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NYH1, Oct 26, 2013.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I have a '07 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short Box 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, auto trans. 3.92 gears w/limited slip diff. tow pk. I bought it new, it has almost 47K miles. Truck is in great shape! I've run synthetic oil as well as front & rear diff fluid in it. It came with Goodyear Wrangler HP 275/60-20 wheels & tires (33"x11"), worst tires I ever had on a 4x4. I sold them and bought factory 17" wheels. Now I have Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac LT285/70-17 load range D Tires (33"x11.5) I love them in mud and snow. I rotate them every 6 months, keep tire pressure at 40 psi (check monthly). They have about 7K miles on them and look brand new.

This past summer my dad and I replaced the brakes . We put all new front and rear rotors, calipers, pads as well as the rear E-brake shoes and hardware kits. I had the outer tie rod ends replaced before last deer season (2012).

I'm just kind of starting out mowing lawns and lots as well as plowing this season. I do plan on buying a 3/4 or 1 ton GMC/Chevy or Ram truck in the near future. But was thinking that since my truck is in such good condition and paid for and will tow everything I'll need it to tow that I might be better off putting a Fisher 7.5" Half Ton Series Snow Plow (414 lbs.) or their 7.5" Standard Duty Snow Plow (487 lbs.) on my truck for a season or two. Then after I make a go of it, go out and buy a bigger truck and plow.

What do you guys think? Also which of these two plows would be better for my truck the HT Series or the SD Series? I'd put Timbrems in the front and back. And maybe even Blistons 5100 Strut/Spring kit that levels/raises the front 2 inches.

I'm just kind of kicking this idea around. Any input would be great.

Thanks, NYH1.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

With Timbrens I think you would be fine putting a 7.5' HD but, if you are still worried about weight I would go with the 7.5' SD. The SD is quite a bit more rugged than the HT. I like SD a lot.